The impact of lead time reliability in freight transport: A logistics assessment of transport economics findings
This paper considers speed and reliability, measured by the average and variance of the lead time, to examine the relevance of the latter variable on inventory costs. By using a flexible simulation framework, it is shown that reducing variability does not necessarily reduce costs and might in fact increase the costs of safety stock, depending on the shape of the demand distribution during lead time and the targeted service level. This offers a novel explanation for the wide variety of value of reliability figures obtained in empirical transport economics research.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 49 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simona Bolis & Rico Maggi, 2003. "Logistics Strategy and Transport Service Choices: An Adaptive Stated Preference Experiment," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(4), pages 490-504.
- W. J. Baumol & H. D. Vinod, 1970. "An Inventory Theoretic Model of Freight Transport Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(7), pages 413-421, March.
- N. Lesca, 2010. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00640602, HAL.
- Bert Vernimmen & Frank Witlox, 2003. "The inventory-theoretic approach to modal choice in freight transport: literature review and case study," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 46(2), pages 5-30.
- Vernimmen, Bert & Dullaert, Wout & Willemé, Peter & Witlox, Frank, 2008. "Using the inventory-theoretic framework to determine cost-minimizing supply strategies in a stochastic setting," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 248-259, September.
- Winston, Clifford, 1981. "A Disaggregate Model of the Demand for Intercity Freight Transportation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 981-1006, June.
- M. Beuthe & Ch. Bouffioux, 2008. "Analysing Qualitative Attributes of Freight Transport from Stated Orders of Preference Experiment," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 42(1), pages 105-128, January.
- Jérôme Massiani, 2008. "Can we use hedonic pricing to estimate freight value of time?," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2008_08, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Frank Witlox & Els Vandaele, 2005. "Determining the Monetary Value of Quality Attributes in Freight Transportation Using a Stated Preference Approach," Transportation Planning and Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 77-92, April.
- Cullinane, Kevin & Toy, Neal, 2000. "Identifying influential attributes in freight route/mode choice decisions: a content analysis," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 41-53, March.
- Patterson, Zachary & Ewing, Gordon O. & Haider, Murtaza, 2010. "How different is carrier choice for third party logistics companies?," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(5), pages 764-774, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transe:v:49:y:2013:i:1:p:190-200. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.