Relationship between service quality and demand for inter-urban buses
This article proposes a model for analysing the modal choice of travellers making inter-urban journeys. Discrete choice models with systematic and random tastes variation were applied to find the most relevant variables for encouraging the use of public transport by bus rather than private car. This research follows on from the results of previous user satisfaction studies on inter-urban bus services in the province of Burgos (Spain). Willingness to pay is also estimated for time savings or other improvements in the bus service.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 46 (2012)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Espino Espino, R. & De Dios Ortúzar Salas, J. & Román García, C., 2004. "Diseño de preferencias declaradas para analizar la demanda de viajes," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 22, pages 1-33, Diciembre.
- Jara-Díaz, Sergio R. & Farah, Marcelo, 1987. "Transport demand and users' benefits with fixed income: The goods/leisure trade off revisited," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 165-170, April.
- Yeonbae Kim & Tai-Yoo Kim & Eunnyeong Heo, 2003. "Bayesian estimation of multinomial probit models of work trip choice," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 351-365, August.
- Francisco Amador & Rosa González & Juan Ortúzar, 2005. "Preference Heterogeneity and Willingness to Pay for Travel Time Savings," Transportation, Springer, vol. 32(6), pages 627-647, November.
- Sebastian Bamberg & Daniel Rölle & Christoph Weber, 2003. "Does habitual car use not lead to more resistance to change of travel mode?," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 97-108, February.
- Rose, John M. & Bliemer, Michiel C.J. & Hensher, David A. & Collins, Andrew T., 2008. "Designing efficient stated choice experiments in the presence of reference alternatives," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 395-406, May.
- Mauricio Sillano & Juan de Dios Ortúzar, 2005. "Willingness-to-pay estimation with mixed logit models: some new evidence," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 37(3), pages 525-550, March.
- David Hensher & John Rose & William Greene, 2005. "The implications on willingness to pay of respondents ignoring specific attributes," Transportation, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 203-222, 05.
- David Hensher & April Reyes, 2000. "Trip chaining as a barrier to the propensity to use public transport," Transportation, Springer, vol. 27(4), pages 341-361, December.
- Raquel Espino & Concepción Román & Juan Ortúzar, 2006. "Analysing Demand for Suburban Trips: A Mixed RP/SP Model with Latent Variables and Interaction Effects," Transportation, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 241-261, 05.
- Gaudry, Marc J. I. & Jara-Diaz, Sergio R. & Ortuzar, Juan de Dios, 1989. "Value of time sensitivity to model specification," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 151-158, April.
- Satoshi Fujii & Ryuichi Kitamura, 2003. "What does a one-month free bus ticket do to habitual drivers? An experimental analysis of habit and attitude change," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 81-95, February.
- Hensher, David A. & Puckett, Sean M. & Rose, John M., 2007. "Agency decision making in freight distribution chains: Establishing a parsimonious empirical framework from alternative behavioural structures," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 924-949, November.
- Espino, Raquel & de Dios Ortúzar, Juan & Román, Concepción, 2007. "Understanding suburban travel demand: Flexible modelling with revealed and stated choice data," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(10), pages 899-912, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:46:y:2012:i:10:p:1716-1729. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.