Evidence on the distribution of values of travel time savings from a six-week diary
This paper presents the results of a series of mixed logit models focusing on the distribution of the values of travel time savings. The parametric assumptions include both normal and various bounded distributions derived from the normal (log-normal, Johnson's Sb and a censored normal). The full model, which also incorporates a number of time budget related variables, indicates that a small, but relevant share of the respondents might not value time savings, or would rather extend the journey. This share is consistent with results from other studies. A series of models for the different types of tours indicate even higher potential shares in situations with typically fewer binding time constraints. The RP data used is derived from the six week travel diary Mobidrive. The observations from Karlsruhe are summarised at the level of the tour.
Volume (Year): 40 (2006)
Issue (Month): 5 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lyons, Glenn & Urry, John, 2005. "Travel time use in the information age," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(2-3), pages 257-276.
- Daniel McFadden & Kenneth Train, 2000. "Mixed MNL models for discrete response," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 447-470.
- Bhat, Chandra R. & Singh, Sujit K., 2000. "A comprehensive daily activity-travel generation model system for workers," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Algers, S. & Bergstrom, P. & Dahlberg, M. & Dillen, J.L., 1998.
"Mixed Logit Estimation of the Value of Travel Time,"
1998:15, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Algers, Staffan & Bergström, Pål & Dahlberg, Matz & Lindqvist Dillén, Johanna, 1998. "Mixed Logit Estimation of the Value of Travel Time," Working Paper Series 1998:15, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Mokhtarian, Patricia & Salomon, Ilan, 2001.
"How Derived is the Demand for Travel? Some Conceptual and Measurement Considerations,"
Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series
qt1z26n1r8, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Mokhtarian, Patricia L. & Salomon, Ilan, 2001. "How derived is the demand for travel? Some conceptual and measurement considerations," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 695-719, September.
- Mokhtarian, Patricia L & Salomon, Ilan, 2001. "How Derived is the Demand for Travel? Some Conceptual and Measurement Considerations," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt7cx951n5, University of California Transportation Center.
- Robert Schlich & Kay Axhausen, 2003. "Habitual travel behaviour: Evidence from a six-week travel diary," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 13-36, February.
- Bhat, Chandra R., 2001. "Quasi-random maximum simulated likelihood estimation of the mixed multinomial logit model," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 677-693, August.
- David Hensher & William Greene, 2003. "The Mixed Logit model: The state of practice," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 133-176, May.
- Redmond, Lothlorien S. & Mokhtarian, Patricia L., 2001.
"The Positive Utility of the Commute: Modeling Ideal Commute Time and Relative Desired Commute Amount,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt4mc291p2, University of California Transportation Center.
- Lothlorien Redmond & Patricia Mokhtarian, 2001. "The positive utility of the commute: modeling ideal commute time and relative desired commute amount," Transportation, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 179-205, May.
- Kay Axhausen & Andrea Zimmermann & Stefan Schönfelder & Guido Rindsfüser & Thomas Haupt, 2002. "Observing the rhythms of daily life: A six-week travel diary," Transportation, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 95-124, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:40:y:2006:i:5:p:444-457. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.