The mean-variance ratio test--A complement to the coefficient of variation test and the Sharpe ratio test
To circumvent the limitations of the tests for coefficients of variation and Sharpe ratios, we develop the mean-variance ratio statistic for testing the equality of mean-variance ratios, and prove that our proposed statistic is the uniformly most powerful unbiased statistic. In addition, we illustrate the applicability of our proposed test for comparing the performances of stock indices.
Volume (Year): 81 (2011)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jobson, J D & Korkie, Bob M, 1981. "Performance Hypothesis Testing with the Sharpe and Treynor Measures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 889-908, September.
- Oliver Linton & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2003.
"Consistent testing for stochastic dominance under general sampling schemes,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2208, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Oliver Linton & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2005. "Consistent Testing for Stochastic Dominance under General Sampling Schemes," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(3), pages 735-765.
- Linton, Oliver & Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2003. "Consistent Testing for Stochastic Dominance under General Sampling Schemes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2003,31, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Wing-Keung Wong, 2007.
"Stochastic Dominance and Mean-Variance Measures of Profit and Loss for Business Planning and Investment,"
SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series
0705, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Wong, Wing-Keung, 2007. "Stochastic dominance and mean-variance measures of profit and loss for business planning and investment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(2), pages 829-843, October.
- Wing-Keung Wong, 2007. "Stochastic Dominance and Mean-Variance Measures of Profit and Loss for Business Planning and Investment," Finance Working Papers 21922, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- G. Hanoch & H. Levy, 1969. "The Efficiency Analysis of Choices Involving Risk," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(3), pages 335-346.
- Egozcue, Martin & Wong, Wing-Keung, 2010. "Gains from diversification on convex combinations: A majorization and stochastic dominance approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(3), pages 893-900, February.
- Bai, Z. D. & Guo, Meihui, 1999. "A paradox in least-squares estimation of linear regression models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 167-174, April.
- Hamilton, James D. & Susmel, Raul, 1994.
"Autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity and changes in regime,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 307-333.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate Hamilton-Susmel Markov Switching ARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00083, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Wing-Keung Wong & Guorui Bian, 2004.
"Estimating Parameters in Autoregressive Models with Asymmetric Innovations,"
Departmental Working Papers
wp0408, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Wong, Wing-Keung & Bian, Guorui, 2005. "Estimating parameters in autoregressive models with asymmetric innovations," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 61-70, January.
- Wing-Keung Wong & Chenghu Ma, 2008. "Preferences over location-scale family," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 37(1), pages 119-146, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:81:y:2011:i:8:p:1078-1085. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.