Two-moment decision model for location-scale family with background asset
This paper studies the impact of background risk on the indifference curve. We first study the shape of the indifference curves for the investment with background risk for risk averters, risk seekers, and risk-neutral investors. Thereafter, we study the comparative statics of the change in the shapes of the indifference curves when the means and the standard deviations of the returns of the financial asset and/or the background asset change. In addition, we draw inference on risk vulnerability and investment decisions in financial crises and bull and bear markets.
|Date of creation:||15 Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eichner, Thomas & Wagener, Andreas, 2012. "Tempering effects of (dependent) background risks: A mean-variance analysis of portfolio selection," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 422-430.
- Haim Levy, 2004. "Prospect Theory and Mean-Variance Analysis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(4), pages 1015-1041.
- Eeckhoudt, Louis & Gollier, Christian & Schlesinger, Harris, 1996.
"Changes in Background Risk and Risk-Taking Behavior,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 683-89, May.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & Christian GOLLIER & Harris SCHLESINGER, 1994. "Changes in Background Risk and Risk Taking Behavior," Working Papers 005, Risk and Insurance Archive.
- Dominic Gasbarro & Wing-Keung Wong & J. Kenton Zumwalt, 2007.
"Stochastic Dominance Analysis of iShares,"
Finance Working Papers
21919, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Wing-Keung Wong & Chenghu Ma, 2005. "Preferences over Meyer’s Location-Scale Family," Departmental Working Papers wp0506, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Moshe Levy & Haim Levy, 2002. "Prospect Theory: Much Ado About Nothing?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(10), pages 1334-1349, October.
- Feder, Gershon, 1977. "The impact of uncertainty in a class of objective functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 504-512, December.
- Zhidong Bai & Yongchang Hui & Wing-Keung Wong & Ričardas Zitikis, 2012. "Prospect Performance Evaluation: Making a Case for a Non-asymptotic UMPU Test," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 10(4), pages 703-732, September.
- Luc Arrondel & Hector Calvo Pardo & Xisco Oliver, 0/10.
"Temperance in Stock Market Participation: Evidence from France,"
- Luc Arrondel & Hector Calvo Pardo & Xisco Oliver, 2010. "Temperance in Stock Market Participation: Evidence from France," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 77(306), pages 314-333, 04.
- Gollier, Christian & Pratt, John W, 1996. "Risk Vulnerability and the Tempering Effect of Background Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1109-23, September.
- Peter C. Fishburn & R. Burr Porter, 1976. "Optimal Portfolios with One Safe and One Risky Asset: Effects of Changes in Rate of Return and Risk," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(10), pages 1064-1073, June.
- Wong, Wing-Keung & Li, Chi-Kwong, 1999. "A note on convex stochastic dominance," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 293-300, March.
- Moawia Alghalith & Xu Guo & Wing-Keung Wong & Lixing Zhu, 2016.
"A General Optimal Investment Model In The Presence Of Background Risk,"
Annals of Financial Economics (AFE),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 11(01), pages 1650001-01 .
- Alghalith, Moawia & Guo, Xu & Wong, Wing-Keung & Zhu, Lixing, 6/04. "A General Optimal Investment Model in the Presence of Background Risk," MPRA Paper 70644, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Meyer, Jack, 1987. "Two-moment Decision Models and Expected Utility Maximization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 421-30, June.
- Thomas Eichner & Andreas Wagener, 2003. "Variance Vulnerability, Background Risks, and Mean-Variance Preferences," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics (The Geneva Association), vol. 28(2), pages 173-184, December.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Wong, Wing-Keung, 2007.
"Stochastic dominance and mean-variance measures of profit and loss for business planning and investment,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 182(2), pages 829-843, October.
- Wing-Keung Wong, 2007. "Stochastic Dominance and Mean-Variance Measures of Profit and Loss for Business Planning and Investment," Finance Working Papers 21922, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Wing-Keung Wong, 2007. "Stochastic Dominance and Mean-Variance Measures of Profit and Loss for Business Planning and Investment," SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series 0705, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Bai, Zhidong & Phoon, Kok Fai & Wang, Keyan & Wong, Wing-Keung, 2013. "The performance of commodity trading advisors: A mean-variance-ratio test approach," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 188-201.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 1994.
"Income Risk, Borrowing Constraints and Portfolio Choice,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
888, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 1996. "Income Risk, Borrowing Constraints, and Portfolio Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 158-72, March.
- Zhuo Qiao & Ephraim Clark & Wing-Keung Wong, 2014. "Investors’ preference towards risk: evidence from the Taiwan stock and stock index futures markets," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 54(1), pages 251-274, 03.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Andreas Wagener, 2005. "Linear risk tolerance and mean-variance preferences," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(1), pages 1-8.
- Thomas Eichner & Andreas Wagener, 2003.
"More on parametric characterizations of risk aversion and prudence,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 21(4), pages 895-900, 06.
- Thomas Eichner & Andreas Wagener, 2001. "More on Parametric Characterizations of Risk Aversion and Prudence," Volkswirtschaftliche Diskussionsbeiträge 99-01, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Caballe, Jordi & Pomansky, Alexey, 1997.
"Complete monotonicity, background risk, and risk aversion,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 205-222, October.
- Caballe, J & Pomansky, A, 1996. "Complete Monotonicity, Background Risk, and Risk Aversion," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 357.96, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Levy, Haim & Wiener, Zvi, 1998. "Stochastic Dominance and Prospect Dominance with Subjective Weighting Functions," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 147-63, May-June.
- James Tobin, 1956.
"Liquidity Preference as Behavior Towards Risk,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
14, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Fong, Wai Mun & Wong, Wing Keung & Lean, Hooi Hooi, 2005. "International momentum strategies: a stochastic dominance approach," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 89-109, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43864. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.