Putting cognitive psychology to work: Improving decision-making in the medical encounter
Empirical research in social psychology has provided robust support for the accuracy of the heuristics and biases approach to human judgment. This research, however, has not been systematically investigated regarding its potential applications for specific health care decision-makers. This paper makes the case for investigating the heuristics and biases approach in the patient-physician relationship and recommends strategic empirical research. It is argued that research will be valuable for particular decisions in the clinic and for examining and altering the background conditions of patient and physician decision-making.
Volume (Year): 67 (2008)
Issue (Month): 11 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baumann, Andrea O. & Deber, Raisa B. & Thompson, Gail G., 1991. "Overconfidence among physicians and nurses: The 'micro-certainty, macro-uncertainty' phenomenon," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 167-174, January.
- Arkes, Hal R. & Dawes, Robyn M. & Christensen, Caryn, 1986. "Factors influencing the use of a decision rule in a probabilistic task," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 93-110, February.
- Oecd, 2003. "Development Co-operation Review of Canada," OECD Journal on Development, OECD Publishing, vol. 3(4), pages 9-85.
- N/A, 2002. "B. Declaration on the Bo'ao Forum for Asia," China Report, , vol. 38(4), pages 594-595, November.
- Oecd, 2003. "Development Co-operation Review of Greece," OECD Journal on Development, OECD Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 13-80.
- Arkes, Hal R. & Christensen, Caryn & Lai, Cheryl & Blumer, Catherine, 1987. "Two methods of reducing overconfidence," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 133-144, February.
- Oecd, 2003. "Development Co-operation Review of Spain," OECD Journal on Development, OECD Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 11-67.
- Oecd, 2002. "Country ownership and operations," OECD Journal on Development, OECD Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 81-86.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:67:y:2008:i:11:p:1861-1869. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.