Quest for appropriate overcapacity in the fisheries industry
The effective management of natural resources is a critical issue that concerns many people with differing interests. This paper examines aspects of overcapacity and optimal capacity within fisheries by accounting for multiple objectives. Overcapacity arises when a fishing fleet is capable of producing more than what is demanded at the industry level, or allowed by a regulatory framework. The presence of multiple objectives within fisheries management is most often an unavoidable reality, where the objectives determine what level of overcapacity is considered optimal. A two-stage model is suggested that can produce information for management in terms of tradeoffs, policy frontiers, objective values and optimal fleet structure. In the first stage, an output-based Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) model is applied. Efficiency is evaluated and production units transformed such that they use technologically efficient inputs and produce at their full potential. In the second stage, these transformed units are included in an aggregate industry model formulated as a multi-objective optimization program. The model provides information for managers in terms of tradeoffs, policy frontiers, objective values, and optimal fleet structure (by generating Pareto optimal solutions). The proposed model has then been applied to the Danish commercial fishing fleet.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fare, Rolf & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2003. "On aggregate Farrell efficiencies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(3), pages 615-620, May.
- Walter Briec & Benoit Dervaux & Hervé Leleu, 2003. "Aggregation of Directional Distance Functions and Industrial Efficiency," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 79(3), pages 237-261, 07.
- K. Kerstens & N. Vestergaard & D. Squires, 2006.
"A Short-Run Johansen Industry Model for Common-Pool Resources: Planning a Fishery's Industrial Capacity to Curb Overfishing,"
- Kristiaan Kerstens & Niels Vestergaard & Dale Squires, 2006. "A short-run Johansen industry model for common-pool resources: planning a fishery's industrial capacity to curb overfishing," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(3), pages 361-389, September.
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1985. "Primal and Dual Capacity Utilization: An Application to Productivity Measurement in the U.S. Automobile Industry," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 312-24, October.
- Boaz Golany & Eran Tamir, 1995. "Evaluating Efficiency-Effectiveness-Equality Trade-Offs: A Data Envelopment Analysis Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(7), pages 1172-1184, July.
- Jens Kjærsgaard & Jesper Andersen & Christoph Mathiesen, 2007. "Multiple objectives and perceptions of optimal management: The Danish industrial fishery in the North Sea," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 34(2), pages 181-208, June.
- S Pascoe & S Mardle, 2001. "Optimal fleet size in the English Channel: a multi-objective programming approach," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 28(2), pages 161-185, June.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Kokkelenberg, Edward C, 1989. "Measuring Plant Capacity, Utilization and Technical Change: A Nonparametric Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 655-66, August.
- K. Kerstens & D. Squires & N. Vestergaard, 2005. "Methodological Reflections on the Short-Run Johansen Industry Model in Relation to Capacity Management," Post-Print hal-00211184, HAL.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Li, Sung-Ko, 1992. " Linear Programming Models for Firm and Industry Performance," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(4), pages 599-608.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- James Kirkley & Catherine Morrison Paul & Dale Squires, 2002. "Capacity and Capacity Utilization in Common-pool Resource Industries," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(1), pages 71-97, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:44:y:2010:i:3:p:141-150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.