Investment bank reputation and shareholder wealth effects in mergers and acquisitions
This paper investigates the relationship between the reputation of investment banks employed in mergers and acquisitions transactions and the resulting wealth effects. Two hypotheses are tested: the superior deal hypothesis, stating that high reputation advisors suggest deals with higher overall transaction gains; and the bargaining advantage hypothesis, stating that the larger share of transaction benefits is attributed to the party employing a highly reputed advisor. Evidence from 285 European M&A-transactions announced between 1997 and 2002 does not support any of these hypotheses. On average, wealth effects are not significantly different for transactions advised by different advisor tiers.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kale, Jayant R. & Kini, Omesh & Ryan, Harley E., 2003. "Financial Advisors and Shareholder Wealth Gains in Corporate Takeovers," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(03), pages 475-501, September.
- Raghavendra Rau, P., 2000. "Investment bank market share, contingent fee payments, and the performance of acquiring firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 293-324, May.
- Hunter, William C. & Jagtiani, Julapa, 2003. "An analysis of advisor choice, fees, and effort in mergers and acquisitions," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 65-81.
- Dunbar, Craig G., 2000. "Factors affecting investment bank initial public offering market share," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 3-41, January.
- McLaughlin, Robyn M., 1992. "Does the form of compensation matter? *1: Investment banker fee contracts in tender offers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 223-260, October.
- Chahine, Salim & Ismail, Ahmad, 2009. "Premium, merger fees and the choice of investment banks: A simultaneous analysis," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 159-177, May.
- Servaes, Henri & Zenner, Marc, 1996. "The Role of Investment Banks in Acquisitions," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(3), pages 787-815.
- Walter, Terry S. & Yawson, Alfred & Yeung, Charles P.W., 2008. "The role of investment banks in M&A transactions: Fees and services," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 341-369, September.
- Allen, Linda, et al, 2004. "The Role of Bank Advisors in Mergers and Acquisitions," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(2), pages 197-224, April.
- Booth, James R. & Smith, Richard II, 1986. "Capital raising, underwriting and the certification hypothesis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 261-281.
- McLaughlin, Robyn M, 1996. "Adverse Contract Incentives and Investment Banker Reputation: Target Firm Tender Offer Fees," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 19(1), pages 135-56, Spring.
- Felix Lowinski & Dirk Schiereck & Thomas W. Thomas, 2004. "The Effect of Cross-Border Acquisitions on Shareholder Wealth -- Evidence from Switzerland," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 315-330, 06.
- McLaughlin, Robyn M., 1990. "Investment-banking contracts in tender offers : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 209-232.
- Hansen, Robert S., 2001. "Do investment banks compete in IPOs?: the advent of the "7% plus contract"," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 313-346, March.
- Lowinski, F. & Schiereck, D. & Thomas, T. W., 2004. "The effect of (cross border) acquisitions on shareholder wealth - Evidence from Switzerland," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 35193, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Allen Michel & Israel Shaked & You-Tay Lee, 1991. "An Evaluation of Investment Banker Acquisition Advice: The Shareholders' Perspective," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 20(2), Summer.
- Asquith, Paul, 1983. "Merger bids, uncertainty, and stockholder returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 51-83, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:riibaf:v:23:y:2009:i:3:p:257-273. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.