Investment bank reputation and shareholder wealth effects in mergers and acquisitions
This paper investigates the relationship between the reputation of investment banks employed in mergers and acquisitions transactions and the resulting wealth effects. Two hypotheses are tested: the superior deal hypothesis, stating that high reputation advisors suggest deals with higher overall transaction gains; and the bargaining advantage hypothesis, stating that the larger share of transaction benefits is attributed to the party employing a highly reputed advisor. Evidence from 285 European M&A-transactions announced between 1997 and 2002 does not support any of these hypotheses. On average, wealth effects are not significantly different for transactions advised by different advisor tiers.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Robert S., 2001. "Do investment banks compete in IPOs?: the advent of the "7% plus contract"," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 313-346, March.
- Asquith, Paul, 1983. "Merger bids, uncertainty, and stockholder returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 51-83, April.
- McLaughlin, Robyn M, 1996. "Adverse Contract Incentives and Investment Banker Reputation: Target Firm Tender Offer Fees," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 19(1), pages 135-156, Spring.
- Lowinski, F. & Schiereck, D. & Thomas, T. W., 2004. "The effect of (cross border) acquisitions on shareholder wealth - Evidence from Switzerland," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 35193, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Chahine, Salim & Ismail, Ahmad, 2009. "Premium, merger fees and the choice of investment banks: A simultaneous analysis," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 159-177, May.
- Walter, Terry S. & Yawson, Alfred & Yeung, Charles P.W., 2008. "The role of investment banks in M&A transactions: Fees and services," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 341-369, September.
- Booth, James R. & Smith, Richard II, 1986. "Capital raising, underwriting and the certification hypothesis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 261-281.
- Dunbar, Craig G., 2000. "Factors affecting investment bank initial public offering market share," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 3-41, January.
- Felix Lowinski & Dirk Schiereck & Thomas W. Thomas, 2004. "The Effect of Cross-Border Acquisitions on Shareholder Wealth -- Evidence from Switzerland," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 315-330, 06.
- Hunter, William C. & Jagtiani, Julapa, 2003. "An analysis of advisor choice, fees, and effort in mergers and acquisitions," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 65-81.
- McLaughlin, Robyn M., 1992. "Does the form of compensation matter? *1: Investment banker fee contracts in tender offers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 223-260, October.
- Allen Michel & Israel Shaked & You-Tay Lee, 1991. "An Evaluation of Investment Banker Acquisition Advice: The Shareholders' Perspective," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 20(2), Summer.
- Allen, Linda, et al, 2004. "The Role of Bank Advisors in Mergers and Acquisitions," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(2), pages 197-224, April.
- Kale, Jayant R. & Kini, Omesh & Ryan, Harley E., 2003. "Financial Advisors and Shareholder Wealth Gains in Corporate Takeovers," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(03), pages 475-501, September.
- Servaes, Henri & Zenner, Marc, 1996. "The Role of Investment Banks in Acquisitions," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(3), pages 787-815.
- Raghavendra Rau, P., 2000. "Investment bank market share, contingent fee payments, and the performance of acquiring firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 293-324, May.
- McLaughlin, Robyn M., 1990. "Investment-banking contracts in tender offers : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 209-232.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:riibaf:v:23:y:2009:i:3:p:257-273. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.