On the non-neutrality and optimality of monetary policy when financial markets are incomplete: a macroeconomic perspective
We study in this paper a simple model of a two-period economy, with two states of the world in the second period, two agents and one good. Financial markets are incomplete since only inside money is available. We show that outside money, which is introduced in the model through its role as a medium of exchange, is non-neutral, in the sense that it has an effect on the equilibrium allocation. We then discuss whether a monetary policy that would aim at state-independent price levels is desirable. We illustrate that discussion with a few examples. The possible sub-optimality of a constant-across-states inflation rates target for monetary policy is to be contrasted with results from representative agent macroeconomic models.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geanakoplos, John & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1989.
"Real indeterminacy with financial assets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 22-38, February.
- John Geanakoplos & Andreu Mas-Colell, 1985. "Real Indeterminacy with Financial Assets," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 770R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Oct 1985.
- Magill, M. & Quinzii, M., 1992. "Real effects of money in general equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 301-342.
- Magill, M. & Quinzii, M., 1988. "Real Effects Of Money In General Equilibrium," Papers 8826, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Magill,Michael & Quinzii,Martine, 1989. "Real effects of money in general equilibrium," Discussion Paper Serie A 232, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Balasko, Yves & Cass, David & Siconolfi, Paolo, 1990. "The structure of financial equilibrium with exogenous yields : The case of restricted participation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 195-216.
- Gottardi Piero, 1994. "On the Non-neutrality of Money with Incomplete Markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 209-220, February.
- Gottardi, P., 1990. "On The Non Neutrality Of Money With Incomplete Market," Papers 158, Cambridge - Risk, Information & Quantity Signals.
- Cass, David & Green, Richard C & Spear, Stephen E, 1992. "Stationary Equilibria with Incomplete Markets and Overlapping Generations," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(3), pages 495-512, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)