Islamic and conventional banks' soundness during the 2007–2008 financial crisis
The recent global financial crisis has induced a series of failure of many conventional banks and led to an increased interest in the Islamic banking business model. This paper attempts to answer empirically the following question: What was the effect of the 2007–2008 financial crisis on the soundness of Islamic banks and their conventional peers? Using the Z-score as an indicator of bank stability, our regression analysis (covering a matched sample of 34 Islamic Banks (IBs) and 34 conventional banks (CBs) from 16 countries) shows that there is no significant difference in terms of the effect of the financial crisis on the soundness of IBs and CBs. This finding reveals that IBs are diverging from their theoretical business model which would have allowed them to keep the same level of soundness even during the crisis.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Syed Ali, Salman, 2007. "Financial Distress And Bank Failure: Lessons From Closure Of Ihlas Finans In Turkey," Journal of Islamic Economic Studies, The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 14, pages 2-52.
- Hennie Van Greuning & Zamir Iqbal, 2008. "Risk Analysis for Islamic Banks," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6923.
- Siddiqi, Mohammad Nejatullah, 2006. "Islamic Banking And Finance In Theory And Practice: A Survey Of State Of The Art," Journal of Islamic Economic Studies, The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 13, pages 2-48.
- Martin Čihák & Heiko Hesse, 2010.
"Islamic Banks and Financial Stability: An Empirical Analysis,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 95-113, December.
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Heiko Hesse, 2008. "Islamic Banks and Financial Stability; An Empirical Analysis," IMF Working Papers 08/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno M & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2000.
"Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations, and Liquidity Provision by the Central Bank,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 611-38, August.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno M. Parigi & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2000. "Systemic risk, interbank relations, and liquidity provision by the central bank," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 611-640.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1999. "Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations and Liquidity Provision by the Central Bank," CEPR Discussion Papers 2325, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- X. Freixas & B. Parigi & J-C. Rochet, 2000. "Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations and Liquidity Provision by theCentral Bank," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 47, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno Parigi & Jean Charles Rochet, 1998. "Systemic risk, interbank relations and liquidity provision by the Central Bank," Economics Working Papers 440, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 1999.
- Olson, Dennis & Zoubi, Taisier A., 2008. "Using accounting ratios to distinguish between Islamic and conventional banks in the GCC region," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 45-65, March.
- Joshua Charap & Serhan Cevik, 2011. "The Behavior of Conventional and Islamic Bank Deposit Returns in Malaysia and Turkey," IMF Working Papers 11/156, International Monetary Fund.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Mastruzzi, Massimo, 2010. "The worldwide governance indicators : methodology and analytical issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5430, The World Bank.
- El-Hawary, Dahlia & Grais, Wafik & Iqbal, Zamir, 2007. "Diversity in the regulation of Islamic Financial Institutions," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(5), pages 778-800, February.
- Chong, Beng Soon & Liu, Ming-Hua, 2009. "Islamic banking: Interest-free or interest-based?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 125-144, January.
- Gianni De Nicolo, 2000. "Size, charter value and risk in banking: an international perspective," International Finance Discussion Papers 689, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:revfin:v:22:y:2013:i:2:p:68-77. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.