Governance, foreign direct investment and domestic welfare
The issue of economic governance is highly discussed pertaining to the question of industrialisation of a country, but the literature on trade and foreign direct investment (FDI) hardly pays attention to this aspect. We develop a simple model to show how good economic governance in the domestic country, reducing domestic marketing and distribution costs, affects inward FDI and domestic welfare. Whether good governance in the domestic country attracts FDI depends on the way it affects the marketing and distribution costs. The effect of good governance is ambiguous on domestic welfare and depends on the cost difference between the firms, international transportation cost and the extent of cost reduction. Our analysis reveals strategic reasons for poor governance in some situations in the presence of foreign competition.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Milner, 2005. "Protection By Tariff Barriers And International Transaction Costs," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 52(1), pages 105-121, 02.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Morita, Hodaka & Mukunoki, Hiroshi, 2010.
"FDI in post-production services and product market competition,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 73-84, September.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Morita, Hodaka & Mukunoki, Hiroshi, 2010. "FDI in Post-Production Services and Product Market Competition," CCES Discussion Paper Series 29, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Jota Ishikawa & Hodaka Morita & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2008. "FDI in Post-Production Services and Product Market Competition," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd08-004, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Jota Ishikawa & Hodaka Morita & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2010. "FDI in Post-Production Services and Product Market Competition," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd10-136, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Morita, Hodaka & Mukunoki, Hiroshi, 2008. "FDI in Post-Production Services and Product Market Competition," CCES Discussion Paper Series 1, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kim, Dong-Hyeon & Lin, Shu-Chin & Suen, Yu-Bo, 2013. "Investment, trade openness and foreign direct investment: Social capability matters," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 56-69.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V, 1997. "A Theory of Misgovernance," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1289-1332, November.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2004.
"Export Versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 300-316, March.
- Azmat Gani, 2007. "Governance and foreign direct investment links: evidence from panel data estimations," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(10), pages 753-756.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2008.
CEPR Discussion Papers
6764, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Globerman, Steven & Shapiro, Daniel, 2002. "Global Foreign Direct Investment Flows: The Role of Governance Infrastructure," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1899-1919, November.
- Chor-Yiu Sin & Wing-Fai Leung, 2001. "Impacts of FDI liberalization on investment inflows," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 253-256.
- Dong, Jing & Gou, Yan-nan, 2010. "Corporate governance structure, managerial discretion, and the R&D investment in China," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 180-188, April.
- Arijit Mukherjee & Uday Bhanu Sinha, 2007. "Welfare-reducing Domestic Cost Reduction," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 294-301, 05.
- Fan, Joseph P. H. & Morck, Randall & Lixin Colin Xu & Yeung, Bernard, 2007. "Does"good government"draw foreign capital ? Explaining China's exceptional foreign direct investment inflow," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4206, The World Bank.
- Banerjee, A.V., 1997. "A Theory of Misgovernance," Working papers 97-4, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Reiter, S.L. & Steensma, H. Kevin, 2010. "Human Development and Foreign Direct Investment in Developing Countries: The Influence of FDI Policy and Corruption," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 1678-1691, December.
- Qiu, Larry D., 2010. "Cross-border mergers and strategic alliances," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 818-831, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reveco:v:27:y:2013:i:c:p:406-415. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.