Governance, foreign direct investment and domestic welfare
The issue of economic governance is highly discussed pertaining to the question of industrialisation of a country, but the literature on trade and foreign direct investment (FDI) hardly pays attention to this aspect. We develop a simple model to show how good economic governance in the domestic country, reducing domestic marketing and distribution costs, affects inward FDI and domestic welfare. Whether good governance in the domestic country attracts FDI depends on the way it affects the marketing and distribution costs. The effect of good governance is ambiguous on domestic welfare and depends on the cost difference between the firms, international transportation cost and the extent of cost reduction. Our analysis reveals strategic reasons for poor governance in some situations in the presence of foreign competition.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 27 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620165|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banerjee, A.V., 1997. "A Theory of Misgovernance," Working papers 97-4, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Morita, Hodaka & Mukunoki, Hiroshi, 2010.
"FDI in Post-Production Services and Product Market Competition,"
CCES Discussion Paper Series
29, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Morita, Hodaka & Mukunoki, Hiroshi, 2010. "FDI in post-production services and product market competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 73-84, September.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Morita, Hodaka & Mukunoki, Hiroshi, 2008. "FDI in Post-Production Services and Product Market Competition," CCES Discussion Paper Series 1, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Jota Ishikawa & Hodaka Morita & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2010. "FDI in Post-Production Services and Product Market Competition," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd10-136, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Jota Ishikawa & Hodaka Morita & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2008. "FDI in Post-Production Services and Product Market Competition," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd08-004, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004.
"Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Arijit Mukherjee & Uday Bhanu Sinha, 2007. "Welfare-reducing Domestic Cost Reduction," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 294-301, 05.
- Dong, Jing & Gou, Yan-nan, 2010. "Corporate governance structure, managerial discretion, and the R&D investment in China," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 180-188, April.
- Chris Milner, 2005. "Protection By Tariff Barriers And International Transaction Costs," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 52(1), pages 105-121, 02.
- Dani Rodrik, 2008.
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 100-104, May.
- Globerman, Steven & Shapiro, Daniel, 2002. "Global Foreign Direct Investment Flows: The Role of Governance Infrastructure," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1899-1919, November.
- Fan, Joseph P. H. & Morck, Randall & Lixin Colin Xu & Yeung, Bernard, 2007. "Does"good government"draw foreign capital ? Explaining China's exceptional foreign direct investment inflow," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4206, The World Bank.
- Kim, Dong-Hyeon & Lin, Shu-Chin & Suen, Yu-Bo, 2013. "Investment, trade openness and foreign direct investment: Social capability matters," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 56-69.
- Reiter, S.L. & Steensma, H. Kevin, 2010. "Human Development and Foreign Direct Investment in Developing Countries: The Influence of FDI Policy and Corruption," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 1678-1691, December.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee, 1997. "A Theory of Misgovernance," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1289-1332.
- Azmat Gani, 2007. "Governance and foreign direct investment links: evidence from panel data estimations," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(10), pages 753-756.
- Chor-Yiu Sin & Wing-Fai Leung, 2001. "Impacts of FDI liberalization on investment inflows," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 253-256.
- Qiu, Larry D., 2010. "Cross-border mergers and strategic alliances," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 818-831, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reveco:v:27:y:2013:i:c:p:406-415. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.