Payout policies on U.S. closed-end funds
This paper investigates the impact of adopting a minimum dividend policy (MDP) or a share repurchase program (SRP) on closed-end fund discounts and the difference of the two payout policies. Using the data from the U.S. equity funds, we find that funds adopting an MDP significantly reduce their discounts at the announcements of the policy, but funds adopting an SRP do not. We also find that funds with an MDP earn higher NAV (net asset value) returns than the market during one or three years after the adoption, whereas funds with an SRP do not. After controlling for other determinants, we document that the funds with an MDP trade at lower discounts than other funds without any payout policy, while the funds with an SRP trade at higher discounts. These findings are broadly consistent with the signaling argument. However, the discount reductions for MDP funds are not explained by changes in agency costs measured by fund size and expense ratios.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Malkiel, Burton G, 1977. "The Valuation of Closed-End Investment-Company Shares," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(3), pages 847-59, June.
- J. Bradford De Long & Andrei Shleifer & Lawrence H. Summers & Robert J. Waldmann, .
"Noise Trader Risk in Financial Markets,"
J. Bradford De Long's Working Papers
_124, University of California at Berkeley, Economics Department.
- Porter, Gary E & Roenfeldt, Rodney L & Sicherman, Neil W, 1999. "The Value of Open Market Repurchases of Closed-End Fund Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(2), pages 257-76, April.
- Barclay, Michael J. & Holderness, Clifford G. & Pontiff, Jeffrey, 1993.
"Private benefits from block ownership and discounts on closed-end funds,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 263-291, June.
- Barclay, M.J. & Holderness, C.G. & Pontiff, J., 1991. "Private Benefits form Block Ownership and Discounts on Closed-end Funds," Papers 91-01, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Johnson, Shane A. & Lin, Ji-Chai & Roy Song, Kyojik, 2006. "Dividend policy, signaling, and discounts on closed-end funds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 539-562, September.
- Chay, J. B. & Trzcinka, Charles A., 1999.
"Managerial performance and the cross-sectional pricing of closed-end funds,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 379-408, June.
- J.B. Chay & Charles Trzcinka, 1997. "Managerial Performance and the Cross-Sectional Pricing of Closed-End Funds," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 96-20, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Brickley, James A. & Schallheim, James S., 1985. "Lifting the Lid on Closed-End Investment Companies: A Case of Abnormal Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(01), pages 107-117, March.
- Jagannathan, Murali & Stephens, Clifford P. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2000. "Financial flexibility and the choice between dividends and stock repurchases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 355-384, September.
- Pontiff, Jeffrey, 1996. "Costly Arbitrage: Evidence from Closed-End Funds," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1135-51, November.
- Charles Lee & Andrei Shleifer & Richard Thaler, 1990.
"Investor Sentiment and the Closed-End Fund Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
3465, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey L. Coles & Jose Suay & Denise Woodbury, 2000. "Fund Advisor Compensation in Closed-End Funds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1385-1414, 06.
- Jonathan B. Berk & Richard Stanton, 2007. "Managerial Ability, Compensation, and the Closed-End Fund Discount," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(2), pages 529-556, 04.
- Steven A. Ross, 2002. "Neoclassical Finance, Alternative Finance and the Closed End Fund Puzzle," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 8(2), pages 129-137.
- Jay Wang, Z. & Nanda, Vikram, 2011. "Payout policies and closed-end fund discounts: Signaling, agency costs, and the role of institutional investors," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 589-619, October.
- Kim, Jang-Chul & Song, Kyojik "Roy", 2010. "Investment barriers and premiums on closed-end country funds," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 615-626, October.
- Clifford P. Stephens & Michael S. Weisbach, 1998. "Actual Share Reacquisitions in Open-Market Repurchase Programs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(1), pages 313-333, 02.
- Robert Ferguson & Dean Leistikow, 2004. "Closed-End Fund Discounts and Expected Investment Performance," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 39(2), pages 179-202, 05.
- Massa, Massimo & Rehman, Zahid & Vermaelen, Theo, 2007. "Mimicking repurchases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 624-666, June.
- Peavy, John W, III, 1990. "Returns on Initial Public Offerings of Closed-End Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 695-708.
- Lie, Erik, 2005. "Operating performance following open market share repurchase announcements," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 411-436, September.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Bradley, Michael & Brav, Alon & Goldstein, Itay & Jiang, Wei, 2010. "Activist arbitrage: A study of open-ending attempts of closed-end funds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Kumar, Raman & Noronha, Gregory M, 1992. "A Re-examination of the Relationship between Closed-End Fund Discounts and Expenses," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 15(2), pages 139-47, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reveco:v:27:y:2013:i:c:p:345-356. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.