Life cycle embodied energy analysis of residential buildings: A review of literature to investigate embodied energy parameters
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Nässén, Jonas & Holmberg, John & Wadeskog, Anders & Nyman, Madeleine, 2007. "Direct and indirect energy use and carbon emissions in the production phase of buildings: An input–output analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1593-1602.
- Crawford, R.H. & Treloar, G.J. & Fuller, R.J. & Bazilian, M., 2006. "Life-cycle energy analysis of building integrated photovoltaic systems (BiPVs) with heat recovery unit," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 559-575, December.
- Stephan, André & Stephan, Laurent, 2016. "Life cycle energy and cost analysis of embodied, operational and user-transport energy reduction measures for residential buildings," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 161(C), pages 445-464.
- Cabeza, Luisa F. & Rincón, Lídia & Vilariño, Virginia & Pérez, Gabriel & Castell, Albert, 2014. "Life cycle assessment (LCA) and life cycle energy analysis (LCEA) of buildings and the building sector: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 394-416.
- Chen, T.Y & Burnett, J & Chau, C.K, 2001. "Analysis of embodied energy use in the residential building of Hong Kong," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 323-340.
- Leif Gustavsson & Kim Pingoud & Roger Sathre, 2006. "Carbon Dioxide Balance of Wood Substitution: Comparing Concrete- and Wood-Framed Buildings," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 667-691, May.
- Cassandra L. Thiel & Nicole Campion & Amy E. Landis & Alex K. Jones & Laura A. Schaefer & Melissa M. Bilec, 2013. "A Materials Life Cycle Assessment of a Net-Zero Energy Building," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(2), pages 1-17, February.
- Jian Yao, 2014. "A Multi-Objective (Energy, Economic and Environmental Performance) Life Cycle Analysis for Better Building Design," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(2), pages 1-13, January.
- David Browne & Bernadette O'Regan & Richard Moles, 2008. "Use of embodied energy and ecological footprinting to assess the global environmental impact of consumption in an Irish city-region," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(3), pages 447-470.
- Chel, Arvind & Tiwari, G.N., 2009. "Thermal performance and embodied energy analysis of a passive house - Case study of vault roof mud-house in India," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(10), pages 1956-1969, October.
- Karlsson, J.F. & Moshfegh, Bahram, 2007. "A comprehensive investigation of a low-energy building in Sweden," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 1830-1841.
- Lenzen, Manfred & Wier, Mette & Cohen, Claude & Hayami, Hitoshi & Pachauri, Shonali & Schaeffer, Roberto, 2006. "A comparative multivariate analysis of household energy requirements in Australia, Brazil, Denmark, India and Japan," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 181-207.
- Rauf, Abdul & Crawford, Robert H., 2015. "Building service life and its effect on the life cycle embodied energy of buildings," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 79(C), pages 140-148.
- Grace Ding & Perry John Forsythe, 2013. "Sustainable construction: life cycle energy analysis of construction on sloping sites for residential buildings," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 254-265, March.
- Lenzen, M. & Treloar, G., 2002. "Embodied energy in buildings: wood versus concrete--reply to Borjesson and Gustavsson," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 249-255, February.
- Aste, Niccolò & Adhikari, R.S. & Buzzetti, Michela, 2010. "Beyond the EPBD: The low energy residential settlement Borgo Solare," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 629-642, February.
- Renato M. Lazzarin & Filippo Busato & Francesco Castellotti, 2008. "Life cycle assessment and life cycle cost of buildings' insulation materials in Italy," International Journal of Low-Carbon Technologies, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 44-58, January.
- Dixit, Manish K. & Culp, Charles H. & Fernández-Solís, Jose L., 2013. "System boundary for embodied energy in buildings: A conceptual model for definition," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 153-164.
- Yu Lay Langston & Craig Ashley Langston, 2008. "Reliability of building embodied energy modelling: an analysis of 30 Melbourne case studies," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(2), pages 147-160.
- Keisuke Nansai & Shigemi Kagawa & Yasushi Kondo & Sangwon Suh & Rokuta Inaba & Kenichi Nakajima, 2009. "Improving The Completeness Of Product Carbon Footprints Using A Global Link Input-Output Model: The Case Of Japan," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(3), pages 267-290.
- Pachauri, Shonali & Spreng, Daniel, 2002. "Direct and indirect energy requirements of households in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 511-523, May.
- G. J. Treloar & P. E. D. Love & O. O. Faniran & U. Iyer-Raniga, 2000. "A hybrid life cycle assessment method for construction," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 5-9.
- Chang, Yuan & Ries, Robert J. & Wang, Yaowu, 2010. "The embodied energy and environmental emissions of construction projects in China: An economic input-output LCA model," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6597-6603, November.
- Yohanis, Y.G. & Norton, B., 2002. "Life-cycle operational and embodied energy for a generic single-storey office building in the UK," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 77-92.
- Dias, W.P.S. & Pooliyadda, S.P., 2004. "Quality based energy contents and carbon coefficients for building materials: A systems approach," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 561-580.
- Steffen Lehmann, 2011. "Optimizing Urban Material Flows and Waste Streams in Urban Development through Principles of Zero Waste and Sustainable Consumption," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Ristimäki, Miro & Säynäjoki, Antti & Heinonen, Jukka & Junnila, Seppo, 2013. "Combining life cycle costing and life cycle assessment for an analysis of a new residential district energy system design," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 168-179.
- Dixit, Manish K. & Fernández-Solís, Jose L. & Lavy, Sarel & Culp, Charles H., 2012. "Need for an embodied energy measurement protocol for buildings: A review paper," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 3730-3743.
- Stephan, André & Stephan, Laurent, 2014. "Reducing the total life cycle energy demand of recent residential buildings in Lebanon," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 74(C), pages 618-637.
- Shukla, Ashish & Tiwari, G.N. & Sodha, M.S., 2009. "Embodied energy analysis of adobe house," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 755-761.
- Gartner, E. M. & Smith, M. A., 1976. "Energy costs of house construction," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 144-157, June.
- Crawford, R.H., 2009. "Life cycle energy and greenhouse emissions analysis of wind turbines and the effect of size on energy yield," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2653-2660, December.
- Stephan, André & Crawford, Robert H. & de Myttenaere, Kristel, 2013. "A comprehensive assessment of the life cycle energy demand of passive houses," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 112(C), pages 23-34.
- Leckner, Mitchell & Zmeureanu, Radu, 2011. "Life cycle cost and energy analysis of a Net Zero Energy House with solar combisystem," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 232-241, January.
- Limmeechokchai, Bundit & Suksuntornsiri, Pawinee, 2007. "Embedded energy and total greenhouse gas emissions in final consumptions within Thailand," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 259-281, February.
- Philip J. Davies & Stephen Emmitt & Steven K. Firth, 2014. "Challenges for capturing and assessing initial embodied energy: a contractor's perspective," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(3), pages 290-308, March.
- Mohamad Monkiz Khasreen & Phillip F. G. Banfill & Gillian F. Menzies, 2009. "Life-Cycle Assessment and the Environmental Impact of Buildings: A Review," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(3), pages 1-28, September.
- Dodoo, Ambrose & Gustavsson, Leif & Sathre, Roger, 2012. "Effect of thermal mass on life cycle primary energy balances of a concrete- and a wood-frame building," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 462-472.
- Borjesson, Pal & Gustavsson, Leif, 2000. "Greenhouse gas balances in building construction: wood versus concrete from life-cycle and forest land-use perspectives," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 575-588, July.
- Paul Joseph & Svetlana Tretsiakova-McNally, 2010. "Sustainable Non-Metallic Building Materials," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(2), pages 1-28, January.
More about this item
KeywordsEmbodied energy; Building materials; Data quality; Life cycle analysis; Life cycle energy; Embodied energy uncertainty;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:79:y:2017:i:c:p:390-413. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.