Assessing energy sustainability of rural communities using Principal Component Analysis
Engaging communities to action under the new climate change regime and fostering citizens to adopt sustainable energy patterns, remains still a challenge. A new impetus for commitment was put in place for local regions, through the Covenant of Mayors (CoM) initiative by the EU communities. The key challenge is the penetration of Renewable Energy Sources (RES), since most rural communities have vast unexploited RES potential (solar, wind, biomass, etc.). RES promotion could also specifically support rural communities’ challenges as regards growth, jobs and sustainability, which are also aggravated by the current financial and economic crisis.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Flamos, Alexandros & Doukas, Haris & Psarras, J., 2010. "Data validation platform for the sophisticated monitoring and communication of the energy technology sector," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 931-935.
- Doukas, Haris & Papadopoulou, Alexandra G. & Psarras, John & Ragwitz, Mario & Schlomann, Barbara, 2008. "Sustainable reference methodology for energy end-use efficiency data in the EU," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(8), pages 2159-2176, October.
- Costantini, Valeria & Gracceva, Francesco & Markandya, Anil & Vicini, Giorgio, 2007.
"Security of energy supply: Comparing scenarios from a European perspective,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 210-226, January.
- Giorgio Vicini & Francesco Gracceva & Anil Markandya & Valeria Costantini, 2005. "Security of Energy Supply: Comparing Scenarios From a European Perspective," Working Papers 2005.89, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Grubb, Michael & Butler, Lucy & Twomey, Paul, 2006.
"Diversity and security in UK electricity generation: The influence of low-carbon objectives,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 4050-4062, December.
- Grubb, M. & Butler, L. & Sinden, G., 2005. "Diversity and Security in UK Electricity Generation: The Influence of Low Carbon Objectives," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0511, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Gupta, Eshita, 2008. "Oil vulnerability index of oil-importing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 1195-1211, March.
- Giatrakos, Georgios P. & Tsoutsos, Theocharis D. & Zografakis, Nikos, 2009. "Sustainable power planning for the island of Crete," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1222-1238, April.
- Karakosta, Charikleia & Doukas, Haris & Psarras, John, 2010. "Technology transfer through climate change: Setting a sustainable energy pattern," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 1546-1557, August.
- Tsoutsos, Theocharis & Papadopoulou, Eleni & Katsiri, Alexandra & Papadopoulos, Agis M., 2008. "Supporting schemes for renewable energy sources and their impact on reducing the emissions of greenhouse gases in Greece," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(7), pages 1767-1788, September.
- Li, Baibing & Martin, Elaine B. & Morris, A. Julian, 2002. "On principal component analysis in L1," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 471-474, September.
- Koukios, E.G. & Pyrgiotis, L.A. & Tsoutsos, T.D. & Christensen, M.N., 1991. "The role of bioenergy in the energy system of Aperathou village," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 16(9), pages 1213-1214.
- Gnansounou, Edgard, 2008. "Assessing the energy vulnerability: Case of industrialised countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 3734-3744, October.
- Giatrakos, G.P. & Tsoutsos, T.D. & Mouchtaropoulos, P.G. & Naxakis, G.D. & Stavrakakis, G., 2009. "Sustainable energy planning based on a stand-alone hybrid renewableenergy/hydrogen power system: Application in Karpathos island, Greece," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2562-2570.
- Patlitzianas, Konstantinos D. & Doukas, Haris & Kagiannas, Argyris G. & Psarras, John, 2008. "Sustainable energy policy indicators: Review and recommendations," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 966-973.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:16:y:2012:i:4:p:1949-1957. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.