Energy efficiency assessment by process heating assessment and survey tool (PHAST) and feasibility analysis of waste heat recovery in the reheat furnace at a steel company
The steel industry is one of the most energy intensive industries, contributing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. This research analyzes the feasibility of waste heat recovery and assesses energy efficiency at a steel company, Gerdau Ameristeel in Selkirk, Manitoba. The process heating assessment and survey tool (PHAST) determined that the overall efficiency in the reheat furnace is 60%. Flue gas losses are the biggest energy losses in the reheat furnace, accounting for 29.5% of the total energy losses during full production. Heat losses from wall, hearth and roof are also significant, being 7,139,170Â kJ/h during full production. To reduce energy inefficiencies, it is recommended that billets be preheated to 315Â Â°C in the reheat furnace. This requires 1.48Â h to capture waste heat with a preheating section length of 1691.64Â cm. The annual energy savings are estimated to be $215,086.12 requiring a 3.03 years payback period. This study was the first to determine the required size of a preheating box and the rate of heat transfer through billets in the preheating section.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Worrell, Ernst & Laitner, John A & Ruth, Michael & Finman, Hodayah, 2003. "Productivity benefits of industrial energy efficiency measures," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 1081-1098.
- Kim, Yeonbae & Worrell, Ernst, 2002. "International comparison of CO2 emission trends in the iron and steel industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 827-838, August.
- Bergmeier, Monika, 2003. "The history of waste energy recovery in Germany since 1920," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(13), pages 1359-1374.
- Worrell, Ernst & van Berkel, Rene & Fengqi, Zhou & Menke, Christoph & Schaeffer, Roberto & O. Williams, Robert, 2001. "Technology transfer of energy efficient technologies in industry: a review of trends and policy issues," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 29-43, January.
- Rohdin, Patrik & Thollander, Patrik & Solding, Petter, 2007. "Barriers to and drivers for energy efficiency in the Swedish foundry industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 672-677, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:15:y:2011:i:6:p:2904-2908. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.