Biomass energy and the environmental impacts associated with its production and utilization
Biomass is the first-ever fuel used by humankind and is also the fuel which was the mainstay of the global fuel economy till the middle of the 18th century. Then fossil fuels took over because fossil fuels were not only more abundant and denser in their energy content, but also generated less pollution when burnt, in comparison to biomass. In recent years there is a resurgence of interest in biomass energy because biomass is perceived as a carbon-neutral source of energy unlike net carbon-emitting fossil fuels of which copious use has led to global warming and ocean acidification. The paper takes stock of the various sources of biomass and the possible ways in which it can be utilized for generating energy. It then examines the environmental impacts, including impact vis a vis greenhouse gas emissions, of different biomass energy generation-utilization options.
Volume (Year): 14 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lora, E.S. & Andrade, R.V., 2009. "Biomass as energy source in Brazil," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 777-788, May.
- Luo, Lin & van der Voet, Ester & Huppes, Gjalt, 2009. "An energy analysis of ethanol from cellulosic feedstock-Corn stover," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 2003-2011, October.
- Kannan, R. & Leong, K.C. & Osman, R. & Ho, H.K., 2007. "Life cycle energy, emissions and cost inventory of power generation technologies in Singapore," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 702-715, May.
- Yu, Suiran & Tao, Jing, 2009. "Simulation-based life cycle assessment of energy efficiency of biomass-based ethanol fuel from different feedstocks in China," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 476-484.
- Liu, Gang & Lucas, Mario & Shen, Lei, 2008. "Rural household energy consumption and its impacts on eco-environment in Tibet: Taking Taktse county as an example," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(7), pages 1890-1908, September.
- Xiaohua, Wang & Zhenmin, Feng, 2004. "Biofuel use and its emission of noxious gases in rural China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 183-192, April.
- Abbasi, S. A. & Abbasi, Naseema, 2000. "The likely adverse environmental impacts of renewable energy sources," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 65(1-4), pages 121-144, April.
- Hallam, Arne & Anderson, I. C. & Buxton, D. R., 2001. "Comparative Economic Analysis of Perennial, Annual and Intercrops for Biomass Production," Staff General Research Papers 5076, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Saxena, R.C. & Adhikari, D.K. & Goyal, H.B., 2009. "Biomass-based energy fuel through biochemical routes: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 167-178, January.
- Liu, Jing & Ma, Xiaoqian, 2009. "The analysis on energy and environmental impacts of microalgae-based fuel methanol in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1479-1488, April.
- Thornley, Patricia, 2006. "Increasing biomass based power generation in the UK," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(15), pages 2087-2099, October.
- Kalita, Dipul, 2008. "Hydrocarbon plant--New source of energy for future," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 455-471, February.
- Chynoweth, David P & Owens, John M & Legrand, Robert, 2001. "Renewable methane from anaerobic digestion of biomass," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-8.
- Thornley, Patricia & Upham, Paul & Huang, Ye & Rezvani, Sina & Brammer, John & Rogers, John, 2009. "Integrated assessment of bioelectricity technology options," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 890-903, March.
- AkpInar, Adem & Kömürcü, Murat Ihsan & Kankal, Murat & Özölçer, Ismail HakkI & Kaygusuz, Kamil, 2008. "Energy situation and renewables in Turkey and environmental effects of energy use," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(8), pages 2013-2039, October.
- Pei-dong, Zhang & Guomei, Jia & Gang, Wang, 2007. "Contribution to emission reduction of CO2 and SO2 by household biogas construction in rural China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(8), pages 1903-1912, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:14:y:2010:i:3:p:919-937. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.