Mixed oligopoly and spatial price discrimination with foreign firms
This paper is the first to examine the welfare consequences of foreign competition in a mixed oligopoly set in a linear model of spatial price discrimination. It demonstrates that the entry of a foreign firm often lowers domestic welfare. This results because the public firm locates largely independently of the presence of the foreign firm and because the profit earned by the foreign firm reduces domestic welfare. Privatization of the public firm typically lowers domestic welfare but can increase global welfare. Thus, domestic governments are unlikely to allow foreign entry and when they do, they are unlikely to privatize the public firm despite the potential rise in global welfare.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cremer, Helmuth & Marchand, Maurice & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1991. "Mixed oligopoly with differentiated products," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-53, March.
- Fjell, Kenneth & Heywood, John S, 2002. "Public Stackelberg Leadership in a Mixed Oligopoly with Foreign Firms," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 267-81, September.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:8:y:2006:i:1:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Noriaki Matsushima & Toshihiro Matsumura, 2003. "Mixed oligopoly and spatial agglomeration," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(1), pages 62-87, February.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2003. "Mixed Duopoly with Product Differentiation: Sequential Choice of Location," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 18-34, 03.
- Kenneth Fjell & Debashis Pal, 1996. "A Mixed Oligopoly in the Presence of Foreign Private Firms," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(3), pages 737-43, August.
- Hamilton, J.H. & Slutsky, S.M., 1988.
"Endogenous Timing In Duopoly Games: Stackelberg Or Cournot Equilibria,"
88-4, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Slutsky, Steven M., 1990. "Endogenous timing in duopoly games: Stackelberg or cournot equilibria," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-46, March.
- Gupta, Barnali, 1992. "Sequential entry and deterrence with competitive spatial price discrimination," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 487-490, April.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Weskamp, Anita, 1989. "Spatial discrimination : Bertrand vs. Cournot in a model of location choice," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 87-102, February.
- Debashis Pal & Mark D. White, 1998. "Mixed Oligopoly, Privatization, and Strategic Trade Policy," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 264-281, October.
- Nilssen, Tore & Sorgard, Lars, 2002.
"A public firm challenged by entry: duplication or diversity?,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 259-274, March.
- Nilssen, T. & Sorgard, L., 1998. "A Public Firm Challenged by Entry: Duplication of Diversity?," Papers 13/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Lederer, Phillip J & Hurter, Arthur P, Jr, 1986. "Competition of Firms: Discriminatory Pricing and Location," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 623-40, May.
- Rothschild, R. & Heywood, John S. & Monaco, Kristen, 2000. "Spatial price discrimination and the merger paradox," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 491-506, September.
- Edward C. Prescott & Michael Visscher, 1977. "Sequential Location among Firms with Foresight," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(2), pages 378-393, Autumn.
- Greenhut, Melvin L, 1981. "Spatial Pricing in the United States, West Germany and Japan," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 48(189), pages 79-86, February.
- Fjell, Kenneth & Heywood, John S., 2004. "Mixed oligopoly, subsidization and the order of firm's moves: the relevance of privatization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 411-416, June.
- Noriaki Matsushima & Toshihiro Matsumura, 2005.
"Mixed Oligopoly, Foreign Firms, and Location Choice,"
2005-21, Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Matsushima, Noriaki & Matsumura, Toshihiro, 2006. "Mixed oligopoly, foreign firms, and location choice," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 753-772, November.
- Thisse, J.-F. & Vives, X., 1987.
"On the strategic choice of spatial price policy,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1987008, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pal, Debashis, 1998. "Endogenous timing in a mixed oligopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 181-185, November.
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1989. "Alternative Strategies of a Public Enterprise in Oligopoly," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 302-11, April.
- Gupta, Barnali & Katz, Amoz & Pal, Debashis, 1994. "Upstream monopoly, downsteam competition and spatial price discrimination," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 529-542, October.
- Hay, D A, 1976. "Sequential Entry and Entry-Deterring Strategies in Spatial Competition," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(2), pages 240-57, July.
- Toshihiro Matsumura, 2003. "Stackelberg Mixed Duopoly with a Foreign Competitor," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 275-287, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:39:y:2009:i:5:p:592-601. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.