Mixed oligopoly and spatial price discrimination with foreign firms
This paper is the first to examine the welfare consequences of foreign competition in a mixed oligopoly set in a linear model of spatial price discrimination. It demonstrates that the entry of a foreign firm often lowers domestic welfare. This results because the public firm locates largely independently of the presence of the foreign firm and because the profit earned by the foreign firm reduces domestic welfare. Privatization of the public firm typically lowers domestic welfare but can increase global welfare. Thus, domestic governments are unlikely to allow foreign entry and when they do, they are unlikely to privatize the public firm despite the potential rise in global welfare.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lederer, Phillip J & Hurter, Arthur P, Jr, 1986. "Competition of Firms: Discriminatory Pricing and Location," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 623-640, May.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Slutsky, Steven M., 1990.
"Endogenous timing in duopoly games: Stackelberg or cournot equilibria,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-46, March.
- Hamilton, J.H. & Slutsky, S.M., 1988. "Endogenous Timing In Duopoly Games: Stackelberg Or Cournot Equilibria," Papers 88-4, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Weskamp, Anita, 1989.
"Spatial discrimination : Bertrand vs. Cournot in a model of location choice,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 87-102, February.
- HAMILTON, Jonathan H. & THISSE, Jacques-François & WESKAMP, Anita, "undated". "Spatial discrimination. Bertrand vs. Cournot in a model of location choice," CORE Discussion Papers RP 846, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Toshihiro Matsumura, 2003. "Stackelberg Mixed Duopoly with a Foreign Competitor," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 275-287, 07.
- Gupta, Barnali & Katz, Amoz & Pal, Debashis, 1994. "Upstream monopoly, downsteam competition and spatial price discrimination," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 529-542, October.
- Nilssen, T. & Sorgard, L., 1998.
"A Public Firm Challenged by Entry: Duplication of Diversity?,"
13/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Nilssen, Tore & Sorgard, Lars, 2002. "A public firm challenged by entry: duplication or diversity?," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 259-274, March.
- Kenneth Fjell & Debashis Pal, 1996. "A Mixed Oligopoly in the Presence of Foreign Private Firms," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(3), pages 737-743, August.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Marchand, Maurice & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1991.
"Mixed oligopoly with differentiated products,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-53, March.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:8:y:2006:i:1:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Edward C. Prescott & Michael Visscher, 1977. "Sequential Location among Firms with Foresight," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(2), pages 378-393, Autumn.
- THISSE, Jacques-François & VIVES, Xavier, "undated".
"On the strategic choice of spatial price policy,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
793, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Greenhut, Melvin L, 1981. "Spatial Pricing in the United States, West Germany and Japan," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 48(189), pages 79-86, February.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2003. "Mixed Duopoly with Product Differentiation: Sequential Choice of Location," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 18-34, 03.
- Hay, D A, 1976. "Sequential Entry and Entry-Deterring Strategies in Spatial Competition," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(2), pages 240-257, July.
- Gupta, Barnali, 1992. "Sequential entry and deterrence with competitive spatial price discrimination," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 487-490, April.
- Rothschild, R. & Heywood, John S. & Monaco, Kristen, 2000. "Spatial price discrimination and the merger paradox," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 491-506, September.
- Fjell, Kenneth & Heywood, John S., 2004. "Mixed oligopoly, subsidization and the order of firm's moves: the relevance of privatization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 411-416, June.
- Fjell, Kenneth & Heywood, John S, 2002. "Public Stackelberg Leadership in a Mixed Oligopoly with Foreign Firms," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 267-281, September.
- Pal, Debashis, 1998. "Endogenous timing in a mixed oligopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 181-185, November.
- Noriaki Matsushima & Toshihiro Matsumura, 2003. "Mixed oligopoly and spatial agglomeration," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(1), pages 62-87, February.
- Noriaki Matsushima & Toshihiro Matsumura, 2005.
"Mixed Oligopoly, Foreign Firms, and Location Choice,"
2005-21, Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Matsushima, Noriaki & Matsumura, Toshihiro, 2006. "Mixed oligopoly, foreign firms, and location choice," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 753-772, November.
- Debashis Pal & Mark D. White, 1998. "Mixed Oligopoly, Privatization, and Strategic Trade Policy," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 264-281, October.
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1989. "Alternative Strategies of a Public Enterprise in Oligopoly," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 302-311, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:39:y:2009:i:5:p:592-601. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.