Optimal money supply in models with endogenous discount factor
This paper studies the Friedman rule for the optimal quantity of money in money in the utility (MIU) and cash-credit models while considering two specifications for the endogenous discount factor. In the first specification, the discount factor depends directly on the utility level. In the second, the discount factor depends on every component of the utility function. We show that under the former specification the Friedman rule is the optimal policy. Under the latter, however, while the Friedman rule is optimal for the MIU model, it is not optimal for the cash-credit model.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Isabel Correia & Pedro Teles, 1997.
"The optimal inflation tax,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
123, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Liutang Gong, 2006. "Endogenous Time Preference, Inflation, and Capital Accumulation," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 87(3), pages 241-255, 04.
- Radhika Lahiri, 2004.
"Liquidity Effects, Variable Time Preference, and Optimal Monetary Policy,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
204, Econometric Society.
- Lahiri Radhika, 2007. "Liquidity Effects, Variable Time Preference, and Optimal Monetary Policy," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Gary S. Becker & Casey B. Mulligan, 1997. "The Endogenous Determination of Time Preference," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(3), pages 729-758.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988.
"The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model,"
RCER Working Papers
155, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Mulligan, Casey B & Sala-I-Martin, Xavier X, 1997.
"The Optimum Quantity of Money: Theory and Evidence,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(4), pages 687-715, November.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier X. Sala-i-Martin & Frederic S. Mishkin & Jonas D. M. Fisher, 1997. "The optimum quantity of money: theory and evidence," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 687-724.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier X. Sala-i-Martin, 1997. "The Optimum Quantity of Money: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5954, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1997. "The optimum quantity of money: Theory and evidence," Economics Working Papers 229, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Gootzeit, Michael & Schneider, Johannes & Smith, William, 2002. "Marshallian recursive preferences and growth," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 381-404, November.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1998.
"Optimal fiscal and monetary policy,"
251, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Fuerst, Timothy S, 1994. "Optimal Monetary Policy in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 32(4), pages 582-96, October.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Stiglitz, J. E., 1972. "The structure of indirect taxation and economic efficiency," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 97-119, April.
- Mohsin, Mohammed, 2004. "Exchange rate policies and endogenous time preference: a dynamic analysis of a small open economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 195-203, February.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1980.
"Capital Mobility and Devaluation in an Optimizing Model with Rational Expectations,"
NBER Working Papers
0557, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1981. "Capital Mobility and Devaluation in an Optimizing Model with Rational Expectations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 217-21, May.
- Narayana R. Kocherlakota, 2005.
"Optimal monetary policy: what we know and what we don’t know,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Oct, pages 10-19.
- Narayana R. Kocherlakota, 2005. "Optimal Monetary Policy: What We Know And What We Don'T Know," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(2), pages 715-729, 05.
- Lahiri, Radhika, 2002. "The Inflation Tax, Variable Time Preference, And The Business Cycle," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(04), pages 496-522, September.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2003:i:2:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:quaeco:v:49:y:2009:i:3:p:798-810. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.