Pricing and product line strategy in a supply chain with risk-averse players
We study the pricing and product line strategy of a risk-averse manufacturer who sells her products through a risk-averse retailer. We identify the conditions under which the manufacturer extends her product line or replaces the old product with a new product, and find that (i) a higher retailer׳s risk aversion decreases the retail price but increases the unit wholesale price; (ii) the manufacturer extends the product line if the price caps for both products are sufficiently high, both her risk aversion and product substitutability are sufficiently low; (iii) the manufacturer discontinues the old product if the relative price cap of the new product to the old product is sufficiently high, her risk aversion is medium, and product substitutability are sufficiently high. Further, we find that (i) the decentralization of supply chain may increase product line length if the retailer׳s risk aversion, and product substitutability are sufficiently high, otherwise, it may decrease product line length; (ii) the endogenization of quality design increases the motivation to introduce a new product; and (iii) the manufacturer extends or replaces the product line if quality cost is not too high.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 156 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thonemann, Ulrich W. & Bradley, James R., 2002. "The effect of product variety on supply-chain performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 143(3), pages 548-569, December.
- V. Krishnan & W. Zhu, 2006. "Designing a Family of Development-Intensive Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(6), pages 813-825, June.
- Diwakar Gupta & Mandyam M. Srinivasan, 1998. "Note: How Does Product Proliferation Affect Responsiveness?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 1017-1020, July.
- Kelvin Lancaster, 1990. "The Economics of Product Variety: A Survey," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(3), pages 189-206.
- Wei, Ying & Choi, Tsan-Ming, 2010. "Mean-variance analysis of supply chains under wholesale pricing and profit sharing schemes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 255-262, July.
- Whalley, A. Elizabeth, 2011. "Optimal R&D investment for a risk-averse entrepreneur," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 413-429, April.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 2004. "Communication Strategies and Product Line Design," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(3), pages 304-316, January.
- Xie, Gang & Yue, Wuyi & Wang, Shouyang & Lai, Kin Keung, 2011. "Quality investment and price decision in a risk-averse supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 214(2), pages 403-410, October.
- Taylor Randall & Karl Ulrich, 2001. "Product Variety, Supply Chain Structure, and Firm Performance: Analysis of the U.S. Bicycle Industry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(12), pages 1588-1604, December.
- Sheikhzadeh, Mehdi & Elahi, Ehsan, 2013. "Product bundling: Impacts of product heterogeneity and risk considerations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 209-222.
- Bish, Ebru K. & Suwandechochai, Rawee, 2010. "Optimal capacity for substitutable products under operational postponement," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(2), pages 775-783, December.
- Zhang, Juliang & Shou, Biying & Chen, Jian, 2013. "Postponed product differentiation with demand information update," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 529-540.
- Xiao, Tiaojun & Yang, Danqin, 2008. "Price and service competition of supply chains with risk-averse retailers under demand uncertainty," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 187-200, July.
- Sila Çetinkaya & Chung-Yee Lee, 2000. "Stock Replenishment and Shipment Scheduling for Vendor-Managed Inventory Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(2), pages 217-232, February.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Harish Krishnan & Roman Kapuscinski & David A. Butz, 2010. "Quick Response and Retailer Effort," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 56(6), pages 962-977, June.
- Wu, Jun & Li, Jian & Wang, Shouyang & Cheng, T.C.E., 2009. "Mean-variance analysis of the newsvendor model with stockout cost," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 724-730, June.
- Wang, Charles X. & Webster, Scott, 2009. "The loss-averse newsvendor problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 93-105, February.
- Serguei Netessine & Terry A. Taylor, 2007. "Product Line Design and Production Technology," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(1), pages 101-117, 01-02.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 1998. "Product Line Design for a Distribution Channel," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(2), pages 156-169.
- Tang, Christopher S., 2006. "Perspectives in supply chain risk management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 451-488, October.
- Garrett van Ryzin & Siddharth Mahajan, 1999. "On the Relationship Between Inventory Costs and Variety Benefits in Retail Assortments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(11), pages 1496-1509, November.
- Dumrongsiri, Aussadavut & Fan, Ming & Jain, Apurva & Moinzadeh, Kamran, 2008. "A supply chain model with direct and retail channels," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(3), pages 691-718, June.
- Hua, Zhongsheng & Zhang, Xuemei & Xu, Xiaoyan, 2011. "Product design strategies in a manufacturer-retailer distribution channel," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 23-32, January.
- Kamalini Ramdas & Mohanbir S. Sawhney, 2001. "A Cross-Functional Approach to Evaluating Multiple Line Extensions for Assembled Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 22-36, January.
- Yunchuan Liu & Tony Haitao Cui, 2010. "The Length of Product Line in Distribution Channels," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(3), pages 474-482, 05-06.
- Preyas S. Desai, 2001. "Quality Segmentation in Spatial Markets: When Does Cannibalization Affect Product Line Design?," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(3), pages 265-283, August.
- Matsubayashi, Nobuo, 2007. "Price and quality competition: The effect of differentiation and vertical integration," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 180(2), pages 907-921, July.
- Xu, Guangye & Dan, Bin & Zhang, Xumei & Liu, Can, 2014. "Coordinating a dual-channel supply chain with risk-averse under a two-way revenue sharing contract," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 147(PA), pages 171-179.
- Lingxiu Dong & Chakravarthi Narasimhan & Kaijie Zhu, 2009. "Product Line Pricing in a Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(10), pages 1704-1717, October.
- Marsh, John M., 1991. "Derived Demand Elasticities: Marketing Margin Methods Versus An Inverse Demand Model For Choice Beef," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(02), December.
- Saif Benjaafar & Joon-Seok Kim & N. Vishwanadham, 2004. "On the Effect of Product Variety in Production–Inventory Systems," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 126(1), pages 71-101, February.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming & Sethi, Suresh, 2010. "Innovative quick response programs: A review," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 1-12, September.
- Wong, W.K. & Qi, J. & Leung, S.Y.S., 2009. "Coordinating supply chains with sales rebate contracts and vendor-managed inventory," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 151-161, July.
- K. Sridhar Moorthy, 1984. "Market Segmentation, Self-Selection, and Product Line Design," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 3(4), pages 288-307.
- Kadiyali, Vrinda & Vilcassim, Naufel & Chintagunta, Pradeep, 1998. "Product line extensions and competitive market interactions: An empirical analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 339-363, November.
- Tiaojun Xiao & Tsan Ming Choi & Danqin Yang & T. C. E. Cheng, 2012. "Service Commitment Strategy and Pricing Decisions in Retail Supply Chains with Risk-Averse Players," Service Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(3), pages 236-252, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:156:y:2014:i:c:p:305-315. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.