Product design strategies in a manufacturer-retailer distribution channel
Product design decision has significant impacts on firm's competitive edge. In a distribution channel, product design strategy of a manufacturer depends not only on its own decisions, but also on the behaviors of its upstream and downstream partners along the channel. This paper investigates the optimal product design strategy of a manufacturer in a two-stage supply chain that consists of an upstream manufacturer and a downstream retailer. Customers are classified into two groups (i.e., two market segments) according to their difference on quality valuations. For each of the two potential market segments, the manufacturer needs to decide if it is beneficial to design a product with appropriate quality level to meet the demand of customers in the market segment. The retailer procures the product from the manufacturer, and then sells to customers at a retail price. By considering the interactions between the manufacturer and the retailer, this paper first describes the product design problem as a manufacturer-dominant Stackelberg game, and presents the optimal product design strategy for the manufacturer. To improve the performance of the supply chain, the revenue-sharing contract is then introduced into the product design problem. It is found that the revenue-sharing contract can perfectly coordinate the distribution channel in the product design problem. Numerical experiments illustrate the impacts of customer characteristics on the optimal product design strategies.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 1998. "Product Line Design for a Distribution Channel," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(2), pages 156-169.
- V. Krishnan & W. Zhu, 2006. "Designing a Family of Development-Intensive Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(6), pages 813-825, June.
- Sreekumar R. Bhaskaran & V. Krishnan, 2009. "Effort, Revenue, and Cost Sharing Mechanisms for Collaborative New Product Development," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(7), pages 1152-1169, July.
- Hallgren, Mattias & Olhager, Jan, 2009. "Flexibility configurations: Empirical analysis of volume and product mix flexibility," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 746-756, August.
- Gong, Zhejun & Hu, Sun, 2008. "An economic evaluation model of product mix flexibility," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 852-864, October.
- Isabelle Huault & V. Perret & S. Charreire-Petit, 2007. "Management," Post-Print halshs-00337676, HAL.
- Ding, Ding & Chen, Jian, 2008. "Coordinating a three level supply chain with flexible return policies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 865-876, October.
- Francas, David & Minner, Stefan, 2009. "Manufacturing network configuration in supply chains with product recovery," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 757-769, August.
- Preyas Desai & Sunder Kekre & Suresh Radhakrishnan & Kannan Srinivasan, 2001. "Product Differentiation and Commonality in Design: Balancing Revenue and Cost Drivers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 37-51, January.
- Albert Y. Ha & Evan L. Porteus, 1995. "Optimal Timing of Reviews in Concurrent Design for Manufacturability," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(9), pages 1431-1447, September.
- Malhotra, M. K. & Grover, V. & Desilvio, M., 1996. "Reengineering the new product development process: A framework for innovation and flexibility in high technology firms," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 425-441, August.
- Øystein Foros & Kåre P. Hagen & Hans Jarle Kind, 2009. "Price-Dependent Profit Sharing as a Channel Coordination Device," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(8), pages 1280-1291, August.
- Lai, Guoming & Debo, Laurens G. & Sycara, Katia, 2009. "Sharing inventory risk in supply chain: The implication of financial constraint," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 811-825, August.
- Yao, Z. & Leung, Stephen C.H. & Lai, K.K., 2008. "Manufacturer's revenue-sharing contract and retail competition," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(2), pages 637-651, April.
- Webster, Scott & Kevin Weng, Z., 2008. "Ordering and pricing policies in a manufacturing and distribution supply chain for fashion products," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 476-486, August.
- K. Sridhar Moorthy, 1984. "Market Segmentation, Self-Selection, and Product Line Design," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 3(4), pages 288-307.
- Mitra, Subrata, 2007. "Revenue management for remanufactured products," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 553-562, October.
- Wang, Shih-Yuan & Chang, Sheng-Lin & Wang, Reay-Chen, 2009. "Assessment of supplier performance based on product-development strategy by applying multi-granularity linguistic term sets," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 215-226, February.
- Li, Susan X. & Huang, Zhimin & Zhu, Joe & Chau, Patrick Y. K., 2002. "Cooperative advertising, game theory and manufacturer-retailer supply chains," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 347-357, October.
- Hans Sebastian Heese & Jayashankar M. Swaminathan, 2006. "Product Line Design with Component Commonality and Cost-Reduction Effort," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 8(2), pages 206-219, May.
- Xiaowei Xu, 2009. "Optimal Price and Product Quality Decisions in a Distribution Channel," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(8), pages 1347-1352, August.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Koulamas, C, 1992. "Quality improvement through product redesign and the learning curve," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 161-168, March.
- Fynes, Brian & De Burca, Sean, 2005. "The effects of design quality on quality performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 1-14, April.
- Linh, Cao To & Hong, Yushin, 2009. "Channel coordination through a revenue sharing contract in a two-period newsboy problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(3), pages 822-829, November.
- Yu, Yugang & Chu, Feng & Chen, Haoxun, 2009. "A Stackelberg game and its improvement in a VMI system with a manufacturing vendor," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(3), pages 929-948, February.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Martin A. Lariviere, 2005. "Supply Chain Coordination with Revenue-Sharing Contracts: Strengths and Limitations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(1), pages 30-44, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:39:y:2011:i:1:p:23-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.