Price and service competition of supply chains with risk-averse retailers under demand uncertainty
We develop a price-service competition model of two supply chains to investigate the optimal decisions of players under demand uncertainty. Each supply chain consists of one risk-neutral supplier and one risk-averse retailer. We analyze the effects of the retailers' risk sensitivity on the players' optimal strategies. We find that the higher the risk sensitivity of one retailer, the lower his optimal service level and retail price will be, while the effects of the rival's risk sensitivity on his decisions depend on the substitutability of the two products. The optimal wholesale price of one supplier is first increasing and then decreasing with the risk sensitivity of the two retailers if the substitutability is sufficiently low, otherwise decreasing with the risk sensitivity. The expected equilibrium order quantity of one retailer is often increasing with his risk sensitivity. We also study the effects of the wholesale prices and the service investment efficiencies on the retail price-service level decisions of the retailers. We find that the higher the service investment efficiency of one retailer, the lower the optimal retail price and service level of his rival will be.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alonso-Ayuso, A. & Escudero, L. F. & Garín, A. & Ortuño, M. T. & Pérez, G., 2005. "On the product selection and plant dimensioning problem under uncertainty," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 307-318, August.
- Ganesh Iyer, 1998. "Coordinating Channels Under Price and Nonprice Competition," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(4), pages 338-355.
- Asplund, Marcus, 2002.
"Risk-averse firms in oligopoly,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 995-1012, September.
- Asplund, Marcus, 1995. "Risk-Averse Firms in Oligopoly," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 69, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 23 Feb 2000.
- Jain, Apurva, 2007. "Value of capacity pooling in supply chains with heterogeneous customers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(1), pages 239-260, February.
- Yao, Dong-Qing & Liu, John J., 2005. "Competitive pricing of mixed retail and e-tail distribution channels," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 235-247, June.
- Dai, Yue & Chao, Xiuli & Fang, Shu-Cherng & Nuttle, Henry L.W., 2005. "Pricing in revenue management for multiple firms competing for customers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 1-16, October.
- Deneckere, Raymond & Marvel, Howard P & Peck, James, 1997.
"Demand Uncertainty and Price Maintenance: Markdowns as Destructive Competition,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 619-641, September.
- Deneckere, R. & Marvel, H.P. & Peck, J., 1995. "Demand Uncertainty and Price Maintenace : Markdowns as Destructive Competition," Working papers 9507, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Howard P. Marvel & Raymond Deneckere & James Peck, 1995. "Demand Uncertainty and Price Maintainance: Markdowns as Destructive Competition," Working Papers 018, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Jan A. Van Mieghem & Maqbool Dada, 1999. "Price Versus Production Postponement: Capacity and Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(12), pages 1639-1649, December.
- Minakshi Trivedi, 1998. "Distribution Channels: An Extension of Exclusive Retailership," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 896-909, July.
- Dumrongsiri, Aussadavut & Fan, Ming & Jain, Apurva & Moinzadeh, Kamran, 2008. "A supply chain model with direct and retail channels," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(3), pages 691-718, June.
- Lee, Jun-Yeon & Schwarz, Leroy B., 2007. "Leadtime reduction in a (Q,r) inventory system: An agency perspective," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 204-212, January.
- Mantrala, Murali K. & Raman, Kalyan, 1999. "Demand uncertainty and supplier's returns policies for a multi-store style-good retailer," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 270-284, June.
- Andy A. Tsay & Narendra Agrawal, 2000. "Channel Dynamics Under Price and Service Competition," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(4), pages 372-391, August.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Milgrom, Paul, 1987.
"Aggregation and Linearity in the Provision of Intertemporal Incentives,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 303-328, March.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Paul R. Milgrom, 1985. "Aggregation and Linearity in the Provision of Intertemporal Incentives," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 742, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Gilbert, Stephen M. & Cvsa, Viswanath, 2003. "Strategic commitment to price to stimulate downstream innovation in a supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 150(3), pages 617-639, November.
- Boyaci, Tamer & Gallego, Guillermo, 2002. "Coordinating pricing and inventory replenishment policies for one wholesaler and one or more geographically dispersed retailers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 95-111, May.
- Kunnumkal, Sumit & Topaloglu, Huseyin, 2008. "Price discounts in exchange for reduced customer demand variability and applications to advance demand information acquisition," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 543-561, February.
- Dana, James D, Jr, 2001. "Monopoly Price Dispersion under Demand Uncertainty," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(3), pages 649-670, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:114:y:2008:i:1:p:187-200. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.