Supply chain risk management in financial crises--A multiple case-study approach
Supply Chain Risk Management has become a key concern for organizations, which is even further emphasized by the current economic and financial crisis. Against this background, this paper investigates successful approaches and experiences by companies in dealing with this new reality, especially as it concerns the supply side. Using in-depth case studies conducted among eight European enterprises, we develop a set of propositions about how companies manage supply risks in financial crises, highlight how their risk management approaches have shifted, and illustrate how they are related to Enterprise Risk Management. Our framework is further differentiated based on whether firms are predominantly engaged in manufacturing or services--a factor influencing how supply chain risk is managed. Transaction cost economics serves as our main theoretical anchor. By rigorously grounding our research in both theory and empirical evidence, we provide valuable insight for both academia and practice.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Swinney & Serguei Netessine, 2009. "Long-Term Contracts Under the Threat of Supplier Default," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 11(1), pages 109-127, September.
- Hallikas, Jukka & Karvonen, Iris & Pulkkinen, Urho & Virolainen, Veli-Matti & Tuominen, Markku, 2004. "Risk management processes in supplier networks," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 47-58, July.
- Wu, Desheng & Olson, David L., 2008. "Supply chain risk, simulation, and vendor selection," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 646-655, August.
- Trkman, Peter & McCormack, Kevin, 2009. "Supply chain risk in turbulent environments--A conceptual model for managing supply chain network risk," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 247-258, June.
- Wagner, Stephan M. & Bode, Christoph & Koziol, Philipp, 2009. "Supplier default dependencies: Empirical evidence from the automotive industry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(1), pages 150-161, November.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, 09.
- Kull, Thomas & Closs, David, 2008. "The risk of second-tier supplier failures in serial supply chains: Implications for order policies and distributor autonomy," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(3), pages 1158-1174, May.
- Tang, Christopher & Tomlin, Brian, 2008. "The power of flexibility for mitigating supply chain risks," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 12-27, November.
- Myron S. Scholes, 2000. "Crisis and Risk Management," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 17-21, May.
- Tang, Christopher S., 2006. "Perspectives in supply chain risk management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 451-488, October.
- Volodymyr Babich & Apostolos N. Burnetas & Peter H. Ritchken, 2007. "Competition and Diversification Effects in Supply Chains with Supplier Default Risk," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 9(2), pages 123-146, October.
- Gordon, Lawrence A. & Loeb, Martin P. & Tseng, Chih-Yang, 2009. "Enterprise risk management and firm performance: A contingency perspective," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 301-327, July.
- Power, Michael, 2009. "The risk management of nothing," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 34(6-7), pages 849-855, August.
- Hertzel, Michael G. & Li, Zhi & Officer, Micah S. & Rodgers, Kimberly J., 2008. "Inter-firm linkages and the wealth effects of financial distress along the supply chain," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 374-387, February.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming & Li, Duan & Yan, Houmin & Chiu, Chun-Hung, 2008. "Channel coordination in supply chains with agents having mean-variance objectives," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 565-576, August.
- Gordon, Lawrence A. & Loeb, Stephen E., 1982. "Accounting and public policy," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-3.
- Kelle, Peter & Miller, Pam Anders, 2001. "Stockout risk and order splitting," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-3), pages 407-415, May.
- Sarkar, Ashutosh & Mohapatra, Pratap K.J., 2009. "Determining the optimal size of supply base with the consideration of risks of supply disruptions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 122-135, May.
- Kevin B. Hendricks & Vinod R. Singhal, 2005. "Association Between Supply Chain Glitches and Operating Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(5), pages 695-711, May.
- Wu, Desheng Dash & Zhang, Yidong & Wu, Dexiang & Olson, David L., 2010. "Fuzzy multi-objective programming for supplier selection and risk modeling: A possibility approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(3), pages 774-787, February.
- Oke, Adegoke & Gopalakrishnan, Mohan, 2009. "Managing disruptions in supply chains: A case study of a retail supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 168-174, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:134:y:2011:i:1:p:43-57. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.