Competition under capacitated dynamic lot-sizing with capacity acquisition
Lot-sizing and capacity planning are important supply chain decisions, and competition and cooperation affect the performance of these decisions. In this paper, we look into the dynamic lot-sizing and resource competition problem of an industry consisting of multiple firms. A capacity competition model combining the complexity of time-varying demand with cost functions and economies of scale arising from dynamic lot-sizing costs is developed. Each firm can replenish inventory at the beginning of each period in a finite planning horizon. Fixed as well as variable production costs incur for each production setup, along with inventory carrying costs. The individual production lots of each firm are limited by a constant capacity restriction, which is purchased up front for the planning horizon. The capacity can be purchased from a spot market, and the capacity acquisition cost fluctuates with the total capacity demand of all the competing firms. We solve the competition model and establish the existence of a capacity equilibrium over the firms and the associated optimal dynamic lot-sizing plan for each firm under mild conditions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vives, X., 1988.
"Nash Equilibrium With Strategic Complementarities,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
107-88, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Sickles, Robin C., 2000.
"Capacity and product market competition: measuring market power in a 'puppy-dog' industry,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 845-865, August.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Robin C. Sickles, 1997. "Capacity and Product Market Competition: Measuring Market Power in a "Puppy-Dog" Industry," CIG Working Papers FS IV 97-31, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Kenneth R. Baker & Paul Dixon & Michael J. Magazine & Edward A. Silver, 1978. "An Algorithm for the Dynamic Lot-Size Problem with Time-Varying Production Capacity Constraints," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(16), pages 1710-1720, December.
- Alper Atamtürk & Dorit S. Hochbaum, 2001. "Capacity Acquisition, Subcontracting, and Lot Sizing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(8), pages 1081-1100, August.
- Harvey M. Wagner & Thomson M. Whitin, 1958. "Dynamic Version of the Economic Lot Size Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(1), pages 89-96, October.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Van Mieghem, Jan A., 1999. "Multi-resource investment strategies: Operational hedging under demand uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 17-29, February.
- Jan A. Van Mieghem & Nils Rudi, 2002. "Newsvendor Networks: Inventory Management and Capacity Investment with Discretionary Activities," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 4(4), pages 313-335, August.
- Jan A. Van Mieghem, 1999. "Coordinating Investment, Production, and Subcontracting," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 954-971, July.
- Arnold, Jan & Minner, Stefan & Eidam, Björn, 2009. "Raw material procurement with fluctuating prices," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 353-364, October.
- Michael Florian & Morton Klein, 1971. "Deterministic Production Planning with Concave Costs and Capacity Constraints," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(1), pages 12-20, September.
- Kirca, Omer, 1990. "An efficient algorithm for the capacitated single item dynamic lot size problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 15-24, March.
- Gabriel R. Bitran & Horacio H. Yanasse, 1982. "Computational Complexity of the Capacitated Lot Size Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(10), pages 1174-1186, October.
- Dong X. Shaw & Albert P. M. Wagelmans, 1998. "An Algorithm for Single-Item Capacitated Economic Lot Sizing with Piecewise Linear Production Costs and General Holding Costs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(6), pages 831-838, June.
- Jan A. Van Mieghem, 1998. "Investment Strategies for Flexible Resources," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(8), pages 1071-1078, August.
- Awi Federgruen & Michal Tzur, 1991. "A Simple Forward Algorithm to Solve General Dynamic Lot Sizing Models with n Periods in 0(n log n) or 0(n) Time," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(8), pages 909-925, August.
- Akbalik, Ayse & Penz, Bernard, 2009. "Exact methods for single-item capacitated lot sizing problem with alternative machines and piece-wise linear production costs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 367-379, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:131:y:2011:i:2:p:535-544. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.