An assessment of world-wide research productivity in production and operations management
Journal publications are important to facilitate knowledge sharing among production and operations management (POM) academics and practitioners. The purpose of this study was to explore the global POM research performance based on papers published in 20 core POM journals in the past half century. The data for the study were obtained from Thomson Reuters' Web of Science/Knowledge databases, from 1959 to 2008, when 63,776 papers were published in POM journals. The annual distribution of papers published shows a significant growth in POM research productivity over the time period 1959 to 2008. The most productive authors in these five decades were T.C. Edwin Cheng from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong; Gilbert Laporte from HEC Montréal, Canada; S.K. Goyal from Concordia University, Canada; S. Eilon from the University of London, UK; and Oded Berman from the University of Toronto, Canada. The five most productive institutions were as follows: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Georgia Institute of Technology, Columbia University, Purdue University, and the University of Michigan. The countries found to have the highest outputs were the USA, the UK, Canada, the Netherlands and Taiwan.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chung, Kee H & Cox, Raymond A K, 1990. " Patterns of Productivity in the Finance Literature: A Study of the Bibliometric Distributions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 301-09, March.
- Michael John Jones & Roydon Roberts, 2005. "International Publishing Patterns: An Investigation of Leading UK and US Accounting and Finance Journals," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(5-6), pages 1107-1140.
- Knight, Gary A. & Hult, G. Tomas M. & Bashaw, R. Edward, 2000. "Research Productivity in the Journal of Business Research: 1985-1999," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 303-314, September.
- P R Chandy & Thomas G E Williams, 1994. "The Impact of Journals and Authors on International Business Research: A Citational Analysis of JIBS Articles," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(4), pages 715-728, December.
- Heck, J Louis & Cooley, Philip L & Hubbard, Carl M, 1986. " Contributing Authors and Institutions to the Journal of Finance: 1946-1985," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(5), pages 1129-40, December.
- Alexander, John C & Mabry, Rodney H, 1994. " Relative Significance of Journals, Authors, and Articles Cited in Financial Research," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 697-712, June.
- Ngai, E.W.T. & Moon, Karen K.L. & Riggins, Frederick J. & Yi, Candace Y., 2008. "RFID research: An academic literature review (1995-2005) and future research directions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 510-520, April.
- Goh, C. H. & Holsapple, C. W. & Johnson, L. E. & Tanner, J., 1996. "An empirical assessment of influences on POM research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 337-345, June.
- Kurata, Hisashi & Yue, Xiaohang, 2008. "Trade promotion mode choice and information sharing in fashion retail supply chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 507-519, August.
- Henry, William R & Burch, E Earl, 1974. "Institutional Contributions to Scholarly Journals of Business," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(1), pages 56-66, January.
- Vaagen, Hajnalka & Wallace, Stein W., 2008. "Product variety arising from hedging in the fashion supply chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 431-455, August.
- Pao-Long Chang & Pao-Nuan Hsieh, 2008. "Bibliometric Overview Of Operations Research/Management Science Research In Asia," Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research (APJOR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 25(02), pages 217-241.
- Lawrence R. Jauch & William F. Glueck, 1975. "Evaluation of University Professors' Research Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(1), pages 66-75, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:120:y:2009:i:2:p:540-551. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.