A comparative study of manufacturing practices and performance variables
The reported study was conducted to compare and contrast current manufacturing practices between two countries, Australia and Malaysia, and identify the practices that significantly influence their manufacturing performances. The results are based on data collected from surveys using a standard questionnaire in both countries. Evidence indicates that product quality and reliability is the main competitive factor for manufacturers. Maintaining a supplier rating system and regularly updating it with field failure and warranty data and making use of product data management are found to be effective manufacturing practices. In terms of the investigated manufacturing performance, Australian manufacturers are marginally ahead of their Malaysian counterparts. However, Malaysian manufacturers came out ahead on most dimensions of advanced quality and manufacturing practices, particularly in the adoption of product data management, effective supply chains and relationships with suppliers and customers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robinson, Carol J. & Malhotra, Manoj K., 2005. "Defining the concept of supply chain quality management and its relevance to academic and industrial practice," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 315-337, June.
- Forza, Cipriano & Filippini, Roberto, 1998. "TQM impact on quality conformance and customer satisfaction: A causal model," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 1-20, June.
- Yusuf, Y. Y. & Gunasekaran, A. & Adeleye, E. O. & Sivayoganathan, K., 2004. "Agile supply chain capabilities: Determinants of competitive objectives," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 379-392, December.
- P. George Benson & Jayant V. Saraph & Roger G. Schroeder, 1991. "The Effects of Organizational Context on Quality Management: An Empirical Investigation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(9), pages 1107-1124, September.
- Koufteros, Xenophon & Marcoulides, George A., 2006. "Product development practices and performance: A structural equation modeling-based multi-group analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 286-307, September.
- Samson, Danny & Ford, Steve, 2000. "Manufacturing practices and performance: Comparisons between Australia and New Zealand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 243-255, May.
- Ibusuki, Ugo & Kaminski, Paulo Carlos, 2007. "Product development process with focus on value engineering and target-costing: A case study in an automotive company," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 459-474, February.
- Luo, Jianwen, 2007. "Buyer-vendor inventory coordination with credit period incentives," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1-2), pages 143-152, July.
- Schroeder, Roger G. & Sakakibara, Sadao & James Flynn, E. & Flynn, Barbara B., 1992. "Japanese plants in the U.S.: How good are they?," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 66-72.
- Nahm, Abraham Y. & Vonderembse, Mark A. & Subba Rao, S. & Ragu-Nathan, T.S., 2006. "Time-based manufacturing improves business performance--results from a survey," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 213-229, June.
- Jammernegg, Werner & Reiner, Gerald, 2007. "Performance improvement of supply chain processes by coordinated inventory and capacity management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1-2), pages 183-190, July.
- Fynes, Brian & De Burca, Sean, 2005. "The effects of design quality on quality performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 1-14, April.
- Roth, Aleda V. & Miller, Jeffrey G., 1992. "Success factors in manufacturing," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 73-81.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:112:y:2008:i:2:p:841-859. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.