An objective-oriented and product-line-based manufacturing performance measurement
Performance-measurement systems (PMSs) that are based on traditional cost-accounting systems do not capture the relevant performance issues for today's manufacturing environment. A variety of integrated systems have been proposed to overcome the limitations of the traditional PMSs, but these systems have been inadequate. This paper presents an integrated dynamic performance measurement system (IDPMS) that integrates three main areas: company management, process improvement, and the factory shop floor. To achieve an integrated system, these three areas are linked through dynamically defined performance measures and performance standards from production planning to customer. The indicators are transformed into quantitative just-in-time parameters that are utilized with management by objectives (MBO) principles to develop a manufacturing PMS that satisfies both internal and external customers. An example is given that illustrates how the IDPMS addresses current PMS requirements.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perera, S. & Harrison, G. & Poole, M., 1997. "Customer-focused manufacturing strategy and the use of operations-based non-financial performance measures: A research note," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 557-572, August.
- Matsuo, Makoto, 2006. "Customer orientation, conflict, and innovativeness in Japanese sales departments," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 242-250, February.
- Conduit, Jodie & Mavondo, Felix T., 2001. "How critical is internal customer orientation to market orientation?1," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 11-24, January.
- Lillis, Anne M., 2002. "Managing multiple dimensions of manufacturing performance -- an exploratory study," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 497-529, August.
- Suwignjo, P. & Bititci, U. S & Carrie, A. S, 2000. "Quantitative models for performance measurement system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-3), pages 231-241, March.
- Abernethy, Margaret A. & Lillis, Anne M., 1995. "The impact of manufacturing flexibility on management control system design," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 241-258, May.
- Huff, Lenard & Kelley, Lane, 2005. "Is collectivism a liability? The impact of culture on organizational trust and customer orientation: a seven-nation study," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 96-102, January.
- Reiner, Gerald, 2005. "Customer-oriented improvement and evaluation of supply chain processes supported by simulation models," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 381-395, June.
- Ghalayini, Alaa M. & Noble, James S. & Crowe, Thomas J., 1997. "An integrated dynamic performance measurement system for improving manufacturing competitiveness," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 207-225, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:112:y:2008:i:1:p:380-390. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.