Strategic alignment of manufacturing processes in a Balanced Scorecard-based compensation plan: a theory illustration case
The present paper integrates the operations management and the management control literature in order to focus on the issue of strategic alignment of manufacturing processes in a Balanced Scorecard-based compensation plan. The specific objectives for this paper are twofold. First, the study offers a theoretical foundation for the thesis that alignment of manufacturing processes with business strategy will result in higher organizational performance. Second, a case study at a Belgian manufacturing division of a Danish Corporate Company shows that it is not possible to realize higher organizational performance when there is no strategic alignment of manufacturing processes.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 34 61
Fax: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 35 92
Web page: http://www.ugent.be/eb
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bonner, Sarah E. & Sprinkle, Geoffrey B., 2002. "The effects of monetary incentives on effort and task performance: theories, evidence, and a framework for research," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 27(4-5), pages 303-345.
- Baker, George P & Jensen, Michael C & Murphy, Kevin J, 1988.
" Compensation and Incentives: Practice vs. Theory,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 43(3), pages 593-616, July.
- Perera, S. & Harrison, G. & Poole, M., 1997. "Customer-focused manufacturing strategy and the use of operations-based non-financial performance measures: A research note," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 557-572, August.
- Abernethy, Margaret A. & Lillis, Anne M., 1995. "The impact of manufacturing flexibility on management control system design," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 241-258, May.
- Chenhall, Robert H., 2003. "Management control systems design within its organizational context: findings from contingency-based research and directions for the future," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 127-168.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:03/200. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.