The durations of recession and prosperity: does their distribution follow a power or an exponential law?
Following findings by Ormerod and Mounfield (Physica A 293 (2001) 573) Wright (The duration of recessions follows an exponential nota power law, cond-mat/0311585) rises the problem whether a power (Ormerod and Mounfield, 2001) or an exponential law (Wright) describes the distribution of occurrences of economic recession periods. In order to clarify the controversy a different set of GDP data are hereby examined. The conclusion about a power law distribution of recession periods seems better though the matter is not entirely settled. The case of prosperity duration is also studied and is found to follow a power law. Universal but also non universal features between recession and prosperity cases are emphasized. Considering that the economy is basically a bistable (recession/prosperity) system we may derive a characteristic (de)stabilisation time. 89.65.Gh; 05.45.Tp; 02.70.Rv Econophysics; Time series analysis; Power law; Exponential law; Recession; Prosperity
Volume (Year): 339 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miśkiewicz, J. & Ausloos, M., 2004. "A logistic map approach to economic cycles. (I). The best adapted companies," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 336(1), pages 206-214.
- Mizuno, T. & Takayasu, M. & Takayasu, H., 2002. "The mechanism of double-exponential growth in hyper-inflation," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 308(1), pages 411-419.
- Michal Kalecki, 1937. "A Theory of the Business Cycle," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 77-97.
- Ausloos, Marcel & Clippe, Paulette & Pȩkalski, Andrzej, 2003. "Simple model for the dynamics of correlations in the evolution of economic entities under varying economic conditions," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 324(1), pages 330-337.
- Ausloos, M & Clippe, P & Pekalski, A, 2004. "Model of macroeconomic evolution in stable regionally dependent economic fields," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 337(1), pages 269-287.
- Ormerod, Paul & Mounfield, Craig, 2001. "Power law distribution of the duration and magnitude of recessions in capitalist economies: breakdown of scaling," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 293(3), pages 573-582.
- Ausloos, Marcel & Clippe, Paulette & Pȩkalski, Andrzej, 2004. "Evolution of economic entities under heterogeneous political/environmental conditions within a Bak–Sneppen-like dynamics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 332(C), pages 394-402.
- Aoki, Masanao, 1998. "Simple Model Of Asymmetrical Business Cycles: Interactive Dynamics Of A Large Number Of Agents With Discrete Choices," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(04), pages 427-442, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:339:y:2004:i:3:p:548-558. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.