Exponentially damped Lévy flights, multiscaling, and exchange rates
We employ our previously suggested exponentially damped Lévy flight (Physica A 326 (2003) 544) to study the multiscaling properties of 30 daily exchange rates against the US dollar together with a fictitious euro-dollar rate (Physica A 286 (2000) 353). Though multiscaling is not theoretically seen in either stable Lévy processes or abruptly truncated Lévy flights, it is even characteristic of smoothly truncated Lévy flights (Phys. Lett. A 266 (2000) 282; Eur. Phys. J. B 4 (1998) 143). We have already defined a class of “quasi-stable” processes in connection with the finding that single scaling is pervasive among the dollar price of foreign currencies (Physica A 323 (2003) 601). Here we show that the same goes as far as multiscaling is concerned. Our novel findings incidentally reinforce the case for real-world relevance of the Lévy flights for modeling financial prices.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 333 (2004)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ausloos, M & Ivanova, K, 2000. "Introducing False EUR and False EUR exchange rates," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 286(1), pages 353-366.
- Gupta, Hari M. & Campanha, José R., 1999. "The gradually truncated Lévy flight for systems with power-law distributions," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 268(1), pages 231-239.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963.
"The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 1-394.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1987.
"Stock Market Prices Do Not Follow Random Walks: Evidence From a Simple Specification Test,"
NBER Working Papers
2168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo, A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988. "Stock Market Prices do not Follow Random Walks: Evidence from a Simple Specification Test," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 41-66.
- Gençay, Ramazan & Selçuk, Faruk & Whitcher, Brandon, 2001. "Scaling properties of foreign exchange volatility," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 289(1), pages 249-266.
- Xu, Zhaoxia & Gençay, Ramazan, 2003. "Scaling, self-similarity and multifractality in FX markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 323(C), pages 578-590.
- Matsushita, Raul & Rathie, Pushpa & Da Silva, Sergio, 2003.
"Exponentially damped Lévy flights,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 326(3), pages 544-555.
- Gupta, Hari M. & Campanha, José R., 2000. "The gradually truncated Lévy flight: stochastic process for complex systems," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 275(3), pages 531-543.
- Skjeltorp, Johannes A, 2000. "Scaling in the Norwegian stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 283(3), pages 486-528.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2002:i:3:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2003:i:2:p:1-13 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sergio Da Silva & Annibal Figueiredo & Iram Gleria & Raul Matsushita, 2003. "Fractal structure in the Chinese yuan/US dollar rate," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 7(2), pages 1-13.
- Sergio Da Silva & Raul Matsushita & Iram Gleria, 2002. "Scaling power laws in the Sao Paulo Stock Exchange," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 7(3), pages 1-12.
- Figueiredo, Annibal & Gleria, Iram & Matsushita, Raul & Da Silva, Sergio, 2003.
"Autocorrelation as a source of truncated Lévy flights in foreign exchange rates,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 323(C), pages 601-625.
- Sergio Da Silva, 2004. "Autocorrelation as a Source of Truncated Levy Flights in Foreign Exchange Rates," Finance 0405018, EconWPA.
- Bershadskii, A., 2003. "Self-averaging phenomenon and multiscaling in Hong Kong stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 317(3), pages 591-596.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:333:y:2004:i:c:p:353-369. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.