Exponentially Damped Levy Flights
Since real processes seem to departure from standard Lévy distributions, modifications to the latter have been suggested in literature. These include (abruptly) truncated (Phys. Rev. Lett. 73 (1994) 2946), smoothly truncated (Phys. Rev. E 52 (1995) 1197; Phys. Lett. A 266 (2000) 282) and gradually truncated Lévy flights (Physica A 268 (1999) 231; Physica A 275 (2000) 531). We put forward what we call an exponentially damped Lévy flight which encompasses the previous cases. In the presence of increasing and positive feedbacks, our distribution is assumed to deviate from the Lévy in both a smooth and gradual fashion. We estimate the truncation parameters by nonlinear least squares to optimally fit the distribution tails. That is a novel approach for estimating parameters α and γ of the Lévy. The method is illustrated with daily data on exchange rates for 15 countries against the US dollar. Our results show that the exponentially damped Lévy flight fits the data well when increasing and positive deviations are present.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Figueiredo, Annibal & Gleria, Iram & Matsushita, Raul & Da Silva, Sergio, 2003.
"Autocorrelation as a source of truncated Lévy flights in foreign exchange rates,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 323(C), pages 601-625.
- Sergio Da Silva, 2004. "Autocorrelation as a Source of Truncated Levy Flights in Foreign Exchange Rates," Finance 0405018, EconWPA.
- Andrew W. Lo, A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988. "Stock Market Prices do not Follow Random Walks: Evidence from a Simple Specification Test," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 41-66.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1987. "Stock Market Prices Do Not Follow Random Walks: Evidence From a Simple Specification Test," NBER Working Papers 2168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gupta, Hari M. & Campanha, José R., 2000. "The gradually truncated Lévy flight: stochastic process for complex systems," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 275(3), pages 531-543.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2002:i:3:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sergio Da Silva & Raul Matsushita & Iram Gleria, 2002. "Scaling power laws in the Sao Paulo Stock Exchange," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 7(3), pages 1-12.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 2015. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: THE WORLD SCIENTIFIC HANDBOOK OF FUTURES MARKETS, chapter 3, pages 39-78 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394-394.
- Gupta, Hari M. & Campanha, José R., 1999. "The gradually truncated Lévy flight for systems with power-law distributions," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 268(1), pages 231-239. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)