Autocorrelation as a Source of Truncated Levy Flights in Foreign Exchange Rates
We suggest that the ultraslow speed of convergence associated with truncated Lévy flights (Phys. Rev. Lett. 73 (1994) 2946) may well be explained by autocorrelations in data. We show how a particular type of autocorrelation generates power laws consistent with a truncated Lévy flight. Stock exchanges have been suggested to be modeled by a truncated Lévy flight (Nature 376 (1995) 46; Physica A 297 (2001) 509; Econom. Bull. 7 (2002) 1). Here foreign exchange rate data are taken instead. Scaling power laws in the “probability of return to the origin” are shown to emerge for most currencies. A novel approach to measure how distant a process is from a Gaussian regime is presented.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miranda, L.Couto & Riera, R., 2001. "Truncated Lévy walks and an emerging market economic index," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 297(3), pages 509-520.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 2015.
"The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: THE WORLD SCIENTIFIC HANDBOOK OF FUTURES MARKETS, chapter 3, pages 39-78
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2002:i:3:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1987.
"Stock Market Prices Do Not Follow Random Walks: Evidence From a Simple Specification Test,"
NBER Working Papers
2168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo, A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988. "Stock Market Prices do not Follow Random Walks: Evidence from a Simple Specification Test," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 41-66.
- Sergio Da Silva & Raul Matsushita & Iram Gleria, 2002. "Scaling power laws in the Sao Paulo Stock Exchange," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 7(3), pages 1-12.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0405018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.