Who benefits from bond tender offers in Europe?
This paper investigates the wealth effects of European cash tender offers for bonds during the period from 1996 to 2005. European bond offers are made to refinance (35% of cases), to reduce debt (40%) or triggered by an ownership change (25%). We investigate the wealth effects to both bondholders and shareholders. Cash tender offers for bonds turn out to be value creating for firms; with bondholders taking most of the gains on a relative basis. We find no evidence of wealth transfers from shareholders to bondholders: bondholders are paid an average tender premium of 3.9% but shareholders do not experience a significant wealth loss. Shareholders even benefit from making refinancing bond tender offers after a drop in interest rates. The wealth effects to both bondholders and shareholders increase in the remaining time to maturity. This suggests that tendering the bonds, rather than waiting for them to mature, is a win-win situation for both types of security holders.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael R. Roberts & Mark T. Leary, 2004.
"Do Firms Rebalance Their Capital Structures?,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
52, Econometric Society.
- Warga, Arthur & Welch, Ivo, 1993.
"Bondholder Losses in Leveraged Buyouts,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(4), pages 959-82.
- William F. Maxwell & Clifford P. Stephens, 2003. "The Wealth Effects of Repurchases on Bondholders," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 895-920, 04.
- Dhillon, Upinder S. & Noe, Thomas H. & Ramirez, Gabriel G., 2001. "Bond calls, credible commitment, and equity dilution: a theoretical and clinical analysis of simultaneous tender and call (STAC) offers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 573-611, May.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1970. "Diversification, Portfolio Analysis and the Uneasy Case for Conglomerate Mergers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(4), pages 795-802, September.
- Eckbo, B. Espen, 1986. "Valuation effects of corporate debt offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 119-151.
- King, Tao-Hsien Dolly & Mauer, David C, 2000. "Corporate Call Policy for Nonconvertible Bonds," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(3), pages 403-44, July.
- Oswald D. Bowlin, 1966. "The Refunding Decision: Another Special Case In Capital Budgeting," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 21(1), pages 55-68, 03.
- Matthew T. Billett & Tao-Hsien Dolly King & David C. Mauer, 2004. "Bondholder Wealth Effects in Mergers and Acquisitions: New Evidence from the 1980s and 1990s," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(1), pages 107-135, 02.
- Lie, Erik & Lie, Heidi J. & McConnell, John J., 2001. "Debt-reducing exchange offers," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 179-207, June.
- Mann, Steven V. & Powers, Eric A., 2007. "Determinants of bond tender premiums and the percentage tendered," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 547-566, March.
- Chatterjee, Sris & Dhillon, Upinder S. & Ramirez, Gabriel G., 1995. "Coercive tender and exchange offers in distressed high-yield debt restructurings An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 333-360, July.
- Mauer, David C & Lewellen, Wilbur G, 1987. " Debt Management under Corporate and Personal Taxation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(5), pages 1275-91, December.
- Emery, Douglas R. & Lewellen, Wilbur G., 1984. "Refunding Noncallable Debt," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 73-82, March.
- Kahan, Marcel & Tuckman, Bruce, 1993. "Do Bondholders Lose from Junk Bond Covenant Changes," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66(4), pages 499-516, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mulfin:v:19:y:2009:i:5:p:355-369. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.