Approximation of the yolk by the LP yolk
If n points are sampled independently from an absolutely continuous distribution with support a convex subset of [real]2, then the center and radius of the ball determined by the bounding median lines (the LP yolk) converge with probability one to the center and radius of the yolk. The linear program of McKelvey (1986) is therefore an effective heuristic for computing the yolk in large samples. This result partially explains the results of numerical experiments in Koehler (1992), where the bounding median lines always produced a radius within 2% of the yolk radius.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banks, Jeffrey S. & Duggan, John & Le Breton, Michel, 2002.
"Bounds for Mixed Strategy Equilibria and the Spatial Model of Elections,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 88-105, March.
- Jeffrey S. Banks & John Duggan & Michel LeBreton, "undated". "Bounds for Mixed Strategy Equilibria and the Spatial Model of Elections," Wallis Working Papers WP14, University of Rochester - Wallis Institute of Political Economy.
- Banks, Jeffrey S. & Duggan, John & Le Breton, Michel, 2006. "Social choice and electoral competition in the general spatial model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 194-234, January.
- Banks, Jeffrey & Duggan, John & Le Breton, Michel, 2003. "Social Choice and Electoral Competition in the General Spatial Model," IDEI Working Papers 188, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Tovey, Craig A., 2010. "A critique of distributional analysis in the spatial model," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 88-101, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:59:y:2010:i:1:p:102-109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.