Axiomatic structure of k-additive capacities
In this paper we deal with the problem of axiomatizing the preference relations modelled through Choquet integral with respect to a $k$-additive capacity, i.e. whose Möbius transform vanishes for subsets of more than $k$ elements. Thus, $k$-additive capacities range from probability measures ($k=1$) to general capacities ($k=n$). The axiomatization is done in several steps, starting from symmetric 2-additive capacities, a case related to the Gini index, and finishing with general $k$-additive capacities. We put an emphasis on 2-additive capacities. Our axiomatization is done in the framework of social welfare, and complete previous results of Weymark, Gilboa and Ben Porath, and Gajdos.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Porath Elchanan Ben & Gilboa Itzhak, 1994.
"Linear Measures, the Gini Index, and The Income-Equality Trade-off,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 443-467, December.
- Elchanan Ben Porath & Itzhak Gilboa, 1991. "Linear Measures, the Gini Index and the Income-Equality Tradeoff," Discussion Papers 944, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Itzhak Gilboa & Elchanan Ben Porath, 1994. "Linear Measures, the Gini Index, and The Income-Equality Trade-off," Post-Print hal-00481365, HAL.
- Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 571-587, May.
- David Schmeidler, 1989. "Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7662, David K. Levine.
- Gajdos, Thibault, 2002. "Measuring Inequalities without Linearity in Envy: Choquet Integrals for Symmetric Capacities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 190-200, September.
- Weymark, John A., 1981. "Generalized gini inequality indices," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 409-430, August.
- WEYMARK, John A., "undated". "Generalized Gini inequality indices," CORE Discussion Papers RP 453, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michel Grabisch & Jacques Duchêne & Frédéric Lino & Patrice Perny, 2002. "Subjective Evaluation of Discomfort in Sitting Position," Post-Print halshs-00273179, HAL.
- Christophe Labreuche & Michel Grabisch, 2003. "The Choquet integral for the aggregation of interval scales in multicriteria decision making," Post-Print hal-00272090, HAL. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)