On Lipschitz continuity of the iterated function system in a stochastic optimal growth model
This paper provides qualitative properties of the iterated function system (IFS) generated by the optimal policy function for a class of stochastic one-sector optimal growth models. We obtain, explicitly in terms of the primitives of the model (i) a compact interval (not including the zero stock) in which the support of the invariant distribution of output must lie, and (ii) a Lipschitz property of the iterated function system on this interval. As applications, we are able to present parameter configurations under which (a) the support of the invariant distribution of the IFS is a generalized Cantor set, and (b) the invariant distribution is singular.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Araujo, A, 1991. "The Once but Not Twice Differentiability of the Policy Function," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1383-1393, September.
- Santos, Manuel S, 1991. "Smoothness of the Policy Function in Discrete Time Economic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1365-1382, September.
- Montrucchio, Luigi, 1987. "Lipschitz continuous policy functions for strongly concave optimization problems," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 259-273, June.
- Brock, William A. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1972. "Optimal economic growth and uncertainty: The discounted case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 479-513, June.
- Chatterjee, Partha & Shukayev, Malik, 2008. "Note on positive lower bound of capital in the stochastic growth model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 2137-2147, July.
- Bhattacharya, Rabi & Majumdar, Mukul, 2001. "On a Class of Stable Random Dynamical Systems: Theory and Applications," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-2), pages 208-229, January.
- Mirman, Leonard J. & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1975. "On optimal growth under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 329-339, December.
- Mirman, Leonard J. & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1977. "Characterizing optimal policies in a one-sector model of economic growth under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 389-401, April.
- Mirman, Leonard J & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1976. "Unbounded Shadow Prices for Optimal Stochastic Growth Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 17(1), pages 121-132, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:45:y:2009:i:1-2:p:185-198. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.