On Lipschitz continuity of the iterated function system in a stochastic optimal growth model
This paper provides qualitative properties of the iterated function system (IFS) generated by the optimal policy function for a class of stochastic one-sector optimal growth models. We obtain, explicitly in terms of the primitives of the model (i) a compact interval (not including the zero stock) in which the support of the invariant distribution of output must lie, and (ii) a Lipschitz property of the iterated function system on this interval. As applications, we are able to present parameter configurations under which (a) the support of the invariant distribution of the IFS is a generalized Cantor set, and (b) the invariant distribution is singular.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mirman, Leonard J. & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1977. "Characterizing optimal policies in a one-sector model of economic growth under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 389-401, April.
- Santos, Manuel S, 1991. "Smoothness of the Policy Function in Discrete Time Economic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1365-82, September.
- Mirman, Leonard J & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1976. "Unbounded Shadow Prices for Optimal Stochastic Growth Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 17(1), pages 121-32, February.
- Mirman, Leonard J. & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1975. "On optimal growth under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 329-339, December.
- Bhattacharya, Rabi & Majumdar, Mukul, 2001. "On a Class of Stable Random Dynamical Systems: Theory and Applications," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-2), pages 208-229, January.
- Araujo, A, 1991. "The Once but Not Twice Differentiability of the Policy Function," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1383-93, September.
- Montrucchio, Luigi, 1987. "Lipschitz continuous policy functions for strongly concave optimization problems," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 259-273, June.
- Chatterjee, Partha & Shukayev, Malik, 2008. "Note on positive lower bound of capital in the stochastic growth model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 2137-2147, July.
- Brock, William A. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1972. "Optimal economic growth and uncertainty: The discounted case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 479-513, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:45:y:2009:i:1-2:p:185-198. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.