Researching with whom? Stability and manipulation
This paper explores the existence of stable research teams, when each agent's preferences depend on the set of researchers collaborating with her. We introduce a property over researchers' preferences, called tops responsiveness guaranteeing the existence of stable research teams configurations. We also provide a stable mechanism, induced by the so-called tops covering algorithm, which is strategy-proof when researchers preferences satisfy tops responsiveness. Furthermore, we also find out that, in this framework the tops covering mechanism is the unique strategy-proof mechanism that always selects stable allocations.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dreze, J.H. & Greenberg, J., .
"Hedonic coalitions: optimality and stability,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-403, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Alcalde, J. & Barberà, S., 1992.
"Top Dominance and the Possibility of Strategy-Proof Stable Solutions to Matching Problems,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
196.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Alcalde, Jose & Barbera, Salvador, 1994. "Top Dominance and the Possibility of Strategy-Proof Stable Solutions to Matching Problems," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 417-35, May.
- José Alcalde & Antonio Romero Medina, 2005.
"Coaliton Formation And Stability,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2005-21, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Tayfun Sonmez, 1999. "Strategy-Proofness and Essentially Single-Valued Cores," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(3), pages 677-690, May.
- José Alcalde, 1995.
"Exchange-Proofness or Divorce-Proofness? Stability in One-Sided Matching Markets,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
1995-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- José Alcalde, 1994. "Exchange-proofness or divorce-proofness? Stability in one-sided matching markets," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 275-287, December.
- Shapley, Lloyd & Scarf, Herbert, 1974. "On cores and indivisibility," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 23-37, March.
- Bogomolnaia, Anna & Jackson, Matthew O., 2002. "The Stability of Hedonic Coalition Structures," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 201-230, February.
- Satterthwaite, Mark Allen, 1975. "Strategy-proofness and Arrow's conditions: Existence and correspondence theorems for voting procedures and social welfare functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 187-217, April.
- Tayfun Sönmez & Suryapratim Banerjee & Hideo Konishi, 2001.
"Core in a simple coalition formation game,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 135-153.
- Gibbard, Allan, 1973. "Manipulation of Voting Schemes: A General Result," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 587-601, July.
- Sotomayor, Marilda, 1996. "A Non-constructive Elementary Proof of the Existence of Stable Marriages," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 135-137, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:40:y:2004:i:8:p:869-887. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.