The effect of the minimum wage for tipped workers on firm strategy, employees and social welfare
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Lynn, Michael & Grassman, Andrea, 1990. "Restaurant tipping: an examination of three 'rational' explanations," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 169-181, June.
- Azar Ofer H, 2008. "Strategic Behavior and Social Norms in Tipped Service Industries," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Azar, Ofer H., 2009. "Tipping motivations and behavior in the US and Israel," MPRA Paper 20304, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Danziger, Leif, 2010.
"Endogenous monopsony and the perverse effect of the minimum wage in small firms,"
Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 224-229, January.
- Danziger, Leif, 2009. "Endogenous Monopsony and the Perverse Effect of the Minimum Wage in Small Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 4320, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Leif Danziger, 2009. "Endogenous Monopsony and the Perverse Effect of the Minimum Wage in Small Firms," CESifo Working Paper Series 2740, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mincer, Jacob, 1976. "Unemployment Effects of Minimum Wages," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 87-104, August.
- Azar, Ofer H., 2004.
"What sustains social norms and how they evolve?: The case of tipping,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 49-64, May.
- Ofer H. Azar, 2003. "What sustains social norms and how they evolve? The case of tipping," Others 0309001, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brown, Charles & Gilroy, Curtis & Kohen, Andrew, 1982. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on Employment and Unemployment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 487-528, June.
- Strobl, Eric & Walsh, Frank, 2011. "The ambiguous effect of minimum wages on hours," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 218-228, April.
- Lynn, Michael & Zinkhan, George M & Harris, Judy, 1993. " Consumer Tipping: A Cross-Country Study," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(3), pages 478-488, December.
- Azar, Ofer H., 2004.
"The history of tipping--from sixteenth-century England to United States in the 1910s,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics),
Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 745-764, December.
- Ofer H. Azar, 2003. "The History of Tipping - From Sixteenth-Century England to United States in the 1910s," Economic History 0309001, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Anderson & Orn Bodvarsson, 2005. "Do higher tipped minimum wages boost server pay?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(7), pages 391-393.
- Ofer H. Azar, 2007. "Do people tip strategically, to improve future service? Theory and evidence," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 40(2), pages 515-527, May.
- Matt Parrett, 2006. "An Analysis of the Determinants of Tipping Behavior: A Laboratory Experiment and Evidence from Restaurant Tipping," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 489-514, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maggie R. Jones, 2016. "Measuring the Effects of the Tipped Minimum Wage Using W-2 Data," CARRA Working Papers 2016-03, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Oz Shy, 2015. "Do Tips Increase Workers' Income?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 61(9), pages 2041-2051, September.
More about this item
KeywordsMinimum wage; Tipping; The restaurant industry; Business strategy; Tipped workers;
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
- J38 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Public Policy
- K31 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Labor Law
- M52 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting; Personnel Economics - - Personnel Economics - - - Compensation and Compensation Methods and Their Effects
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:labeco:v:19:y:2012:i:5:p:748-755. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/labeco .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.