Fresh-product supply chain management with logistics outsourcing
We consider a supply chain in which a producer supplies a fresh product, through a third-party logistics (3PL) provider, to a distant market where a distributor purchases and sells it to end customers. The product is perishable, both the quantity and quality of which may deteriorate during the process of transportation. The market demand is random, sensitive to the selling price as well as the freshness of the product. We derive the optimal decisions for the three supply chain members, including the 3PL provider's transportation fee, the producer's shipping quantity and wholesale price, and the distributor's purchasing quantity and retail price. We find that the presence of the 3PL provider in the supply chain has a significant impact on its performance. We propose an incentive scheme to coordinate the supply chain. The scheme consists of two contracts, including a wholesale-market clearance (WMC) contract between the producer and the distributor, and a wholesale-price-discount sharing (WDS) contract between the producer and the 3PL provider. We show that the proposed contracts can eliminate the two sources of “double marginalization” that exist in the three-tier supply chain, and induce the three parties to act in a coordinated way.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roeger, Edward & Leibtag, Ephraim S., 2011. "Produce Sourcing and Transportation Cost Effects on Wholesale Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Prices," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103696, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Arvind Rajan & Richard Rakesh, 1992. "Dynamic Pricing and Ordering Decisions by a Monopolist," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(2), pages 240-262, February.
- Wang, Xiaojun & Li, Dong, 2012. "A dynamic product quality evaluation based pricing model for perishable food supply chains," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 906-917.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming & Li, Duan & Yan, Houmin & Chiu, Chun-Hung, 2008. "Channel coordination in supply chains with agents having mean-variance objectives," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 565-576, August.
- repec:idb:brikps:publication-detail,7101.html?id=9301 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fernando Bernstein & Awi Federgruen, 2005. "Decentralized Supply Chains with Competing Retailers Under Demand Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(1), pages 18-29, January.
- Kathryn E. Stecke & Xuying Zhao, 2007. "Production and Transportation Integration for a Make-to-Order Manufacturing Company with a Commit-to-Delivery Business Mode," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 9(2), pages 206-224, September.
- Z. Kevin Weng, 1995. "Channel Coordination and Quantity Discounts," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(9), pages 1509-1522, September.
- Qing Li & Derek Atkins, 2002. "Coordinating Replenishment and Pricing in a Firm," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 4(4), pages 241-257, May.
- Tyan, Jonah C. & Wang, Fu-Kwun & Du, Timon C., 2003. "An evaluation of freight consolidation policies in global third party logistics," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 55-62, February.
- Harish Krishnan & Roman Kapuscinski & David A. Butz, 2004. "Coordinating Contracts for Decentralized Supply Chains with Retailer Promotional Effort," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 48-63, January.
- Barry Alan Pasternack, 1985. "Optimal Pricing and Return Policies for Perishable Commodities," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(2), pages 166-176.
- Ding, Ding & Chen, Jian, 2008. "Coordinating a three level supply chain with flexible return policies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 865-876, October.
- Henry Vega, 2008. "Transportation Costs of Fresh Flowers: A Comparison across Major Exporting Countries," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 48178, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Kopanos, Georgios M. & Puigjaner, Luis & Georgiadis, Michael C., 2012. "Simultaneous production and logistics operations planning in semicontinuous food industries," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 634-650.
- Gary D. Eppen & Ananth. V. Iyer, 1997. "Backup Agreements in Fashion Buying---The Value of Upstream Flexibility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(11), pages 1469-1484, November.
- Goyal, S. K. & Giri, B. C., 2001. "Recent trends in modeling of deteriorating inventory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 1-16, October.
- Kevin H. Shang & Jing-Sheng Song & Paul H. Zipkin, 2009. "Coordination Mechanisms in Decentralized Serial Inventory Systems with Batch Ordering," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(4), pages 685-695, April.
- Yunzeng Wang & Li Jiang & Zuo-Jun Shen, 2004. "Channel Performance Under Consignment Contract with Revenue Sharing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 34-47, January.
- Henry Vega, 2008. "The Transportation Costs of Fresh Flowers: A Comparison between Ecuador and Major Exporting Countries," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 9293, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Qinan Wang, 2001. "Coordinating Independent Buyers in a Distribution System to Increase a Vendor's Profits," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 3(4), pages 337-348, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:4:p:752-765. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.