Simultaneous production and logistics operations planning in semicontinuous food industries
The production and logistics operations planning in real-life single- or multi-site semicontinuous food industries is addressed in this work. A discrete/continuous-time mixed integer programming model, based on the definition of families of products, is developed for the problem in question. A remarkable feature of the proposed approach is that in the production planning problem timing and sequencing decisions are taken for product families rather than for products. However, material balances are realized for every specific product, thus permitting the detailed optimization of production, inventory, and transportation costs. Changeovers are also explicitly taken into account and optimized. Moreover, alternative transportation modes are considered for the delivery of final products from production sites to distribution centers. The efficiency and the applicability of the proposed approach is demonstrated by solving to optimality two industrial-size case studies, for an emerging real-life Greek dairy industry.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mula, Josefa & Peidro, David & Díaz-Madroñero, Manuel & Vicens, Eduardo, 2010. "Mathematical programming models for supply chain production and transport planning," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(3), pages 377-390, August.
- van Dam, Peter & Gaalman, Gerard & Sierksma, Gerard, 1993. "Scheduling of packaging lines in the process industry: An empirical investigation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 579-589, July.
- Sabri, Ehap H. & Beamon, Benita M., 2000. "A multi-objective approach to simultaneous strategic and operational planning in supply chain design," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 581-598, October.
- Sun Lee, Ik & Yoon, S.H., 2010. "Coordinated scheduling of production and delivery stages with stage-dependent inventory holding costs," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 509-521, December.
- Rong, Aiying & Akkerman, Renzo & Grunow, Martin, 2011. "An optimization approach for managing fresh food quality throughout the supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 421-429, May.
- Chan, Felix T. S. & Chung, S. H. & Wadhwa, Subhash, 2005. "A hybrid genetic algorithm for production and distribution," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 345-355, August.
- Melo, M.T. & Nickel, S. & Saldanha-da-Gama, F., 2009. "Facility location and supply chain management - A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 401-412, July.
- Ahumada, Omar & Villalobos, J. Rene, 2009. "Application of planning models in the agri-food supply chain: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(1), pages 1-20, July.
- Manzini, Riccardo & Bindi, Filippo, 2009. "Strategic design and operational management optimization of a multi stage physical distribution system," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(6), pages 915-936, November.
- Timpe, Christian H. & Kallrath, Josef, 2000. "Optimal planning in large multi-site production networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 422-435, October.
- Duran, F., 1987. "A large mixed integer production and distribution program," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 207-217, February.
- Meijboom, Bert & Obel, Børge, 2007. "Tactical coordination in a multi-location and multi-stage operations structure: A model and a pharmaceutical company case," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 258-273, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:5:p:634-650. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.