An application of multicriteria decision aid models in the prediction of open market share repurchases
This study presents the first attempt to develop classification models for the prediction of share repurchase announcements using multicriteria decision aid (MCDA) techniques. We use three samples consisting of 434 UK firms, 330 French firms, and 296 German firms, to develop country-specific models. The MCDA techniques that are applied for the development of the models are the UTilités Additives DIScriminantes (UTADIS) and the ELimination and Choice Expressing REality (ELECTRE) TRI. We adopt a 10-fold cross validation approach, a re-sampling technique that allows us to split the datasets in training and validation sub-samples. Thus, at the first stage of the analysis the aim is the development of a model capable of reproducing the classification of the firms considered in the training samples. Once this stage is completed, the model can be used for the classification of new firms not included in the training samples (i.e. validation stage). The results show that both MCDA models achieve quite satisfactory classification accuracies in the validation sample and they outperform both logistic regression and chance predictions. The developed models could provide the basis for a decision tool for various stakeholders such as managers, shareholders, and investment analysts.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gustavo Grullon & Roni Michaely, 2002. "Dividends, Share Repurchases, and the Substitution Hypothesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(4), pages 1649-1684, 08.
- Palepu, Krishna G., 1986. "Predicting takeover targets : A methodological and empirical analysis," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 3-35, March.
- Allen, Franklin & Michaely, Roni, 2003.
Handbook of the Economics of Finance,
in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 337-429
- Dirk Brounen & Abe de Jong & Kees Koedijk, 2004. "Corporate Finance in Europe: Confronting Theory with Practice," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 33(4), Winter.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"Corporate Ownership Around the World,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/399 is not listed on IDEAS
- Laurie Simon Bagwell & John B. Shoven, 1988. "Share Repurchases and Acquisitions: An Analysis of Which Firms Participate," NBER Chapters, in: Corporate Takeovers: Causes and Consequences, pages 191-220 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hovakimian, Armen & Opler, Tim & Titman, Sheridan, 2001. "The Debt-Equity Choice," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(01), pages 1-24, March.
- Gustavo Grullon & David L. Ikenberry, 2000. "What Do We Know About Stock Repurchases?," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 13(1), pages 31-51.
- William J. McNally, 1999. "Open Market Stock Repurchase Signaling," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 28(2), Summer.
- Brounen, D. & de Jong, A. & Koedijk, C.G., 2004. "Corporate Finance In Europe Confronting Theory With Practice," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-002-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Vermaelen, Theo, 1981. "Common stock repurchases and market signalling : An empirical study," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 139-183, June.
- Barnes, Paul, 1999. "Predicting UK Takeover Targets: Some Methodological Issues and an Empirical Study," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 283-301, May.
- Doumpos, Michael & Zopounidis, Constantin, 2011. "Preference disaggregation and statistical learning for multicriteria decision support: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 209(3), pages 203-214, March.
- Pasiouras, Fotios & Tanna, Sailesh & Zopounidis, Constantin, 2007. "The identification of acquisition targets in the EU banking industry: An application of multicriteria approaches," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 262-281.
- Bana e Costa, Carlos A. & Oliveira, Mónica D., 2012. "A multicriteria decision analysis model for faculty evaluation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 424-436.
- David Ikenberry & Josef Lakonishok & Theo Vermaelen, 1999.
"Stock Repurchases in Canada: Performance and Strategic Trading,"
NBER Working Papers
7325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Ikenberry & Josef Lakonishok & Theo Vermaelen, 2000. "Stock Repurchases in Canada: Performance and Strategic Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2373-2397, October.
- Edith Ginglinger & Jean-François L'Her, 2006.
"Ownership structure and open market stock repurchases in France,"
- Edith Ginglinger & Jean-Francois L'her, 2006. "Ownership structure and open market stock repurchases in France," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 77-94.
- Hung-Hsi Huang & Ching-Ping Wang & Kun-Hui Lin & Wan-Ru Jhao, 2010. "Does Corporate Governance Affect Institutional Ownership And Share Repurchase Decisions?," Global Journal of Business Research, The Institute for Business and Finance Research, vol. 4(4), pages 35-40.
- Doumpos, Michael & Zopounidis, Constantin, 2004. "Developing sorting models using preference disaggregation analysis: An experimental investigation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(3), pages 585-598, May.
- Barth, Mary E. & Kasznik, Ron, 1999. "Share repurchases and intangible assets," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 211-241, December.
- Alon Brav & John R. Graham & Campbell R. Harvey & Roni Michaely, 2003.
"Payout Policy in the 21st Century,"
NBER Working Papers
9657, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Georgios Ouzounis & Chrysovalantis Gaganis & Constantin Zopounidis, 2009. "Prediction of acquisitions and portfolio returns," International Journal of Banking, Accounting and Finance, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(4), pages 381-406.
- Pasiouras, Fotios & Gaganis, Chrysovalantis & Zopounidis, Constantin, 2007. "Multicriteria decision support methodologies for auditing decisions: The case of qualified audit reports in the UK," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 180(3), pages 1317-1330, August.
- Doumpos, M. & Marinakis, Y. & Marinaki, M. & Zopounidis, C., 2009. "An evolutionary approach to construction of outranking models for multicriteria classification: The case of the ELECTRE TRI method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(2), pages 496-505, December.
- Verdecho, María-José & Alfaro-Saiz, Juan-Jose & Rodriguez-Rodriguez, Raul & Ortiz-Bas, Angel, 2012. "A multi-criteria approach for managing inter-enterprise collaborative relationships," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 249-263.
- Grigoroudis, E. & Orfanoudaki, E. & Zopounidis, C., 2012. "Strategic performance measurement in a healthcare organisation: A multiple criteria approach based on balanced scorecard," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 104-119, January.
- von Eije, Henk & Megginson, William L., 2008. "Dividends and share repurchases in the European Union," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 347-374, August.
- Murali Jagannathan & Clifford Stephens, 2003. "Motives for Multiple Open-Market Repurchase Programs," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 32(2), Summer.
- Dittmar, Amy K, 2000. "Why Do Firms Repurchase Stock?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(3), pages 331-355, July.
- Mitchell, Jason D. & Dharmawan, Grace V., 2007. "Incentives for on-market buy-backs: Evidence from a transparent buy-back regime," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 146-169, March.
- Barker, Theresa J. & Zabinsky, Zelda B., 2011. "A multicriteria decision making model for reverse logistics using analytical hierarchy process," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 558-573, October.
- Jacquet-Lagreze, E. & Siskos, J., 1982. "Assessing a set of additive utility functions for multicriteria decision-making, the UTA method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-164, June.
- Bagwell, Laurie Simon & Shoven, John B, 1989. "Cash Distributions to Shareholders," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(3), pages 129-140, Summer.
- Ioannidis, Christos & Pasiouras, Fotios & Zopounidis, Constantin, 2010. "Assessing bank soundness with classification techniques," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 345-357, October.
- McNally, William J. & Smith, Brian F., 2007. "Long-run returns following open market share repurchases," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 703-717, March.
- Ikenberry, David & Lakonishok, Josef & Vermaelen, Theo, 1995.
"Market underreaction to open market share repurchases,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(2-3), pages 181-208.
- David Ikenberry & Josef Lakonishok & Theo Vermaelen, 1994. "Market Underreaction to Open Market Share Repurchases," NBER Working Papers 4965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ronan G. Powell, 1997. "Modelling Takeover Likelihood," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(7&8), pages 1009-1030.
- Gustavo Grullon & Roni Michaely, 2004. "The Information Content of Share Repurchase Programs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 651-680, 04.
- Doumpos, Michael & Zopounidis, Constantin, 2001. "Assessing financial risks using a multicriteria sorting procedure: the case of country risk assessment," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 97-109, February.
- Doumpos, Michael & Zopounidis, Constantin, 2004. "A multicriteria classification approach based on pairwise comparisons," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 158(2), pages 378-389, October.
- Opler, Tim & Titman, Sheridan, 1993. " The Determinants of Leveraged Buyout Activity: Free Cash Flow vs. Financial Distress Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1985-1999, December.
- Baker, H. Kent & Powell, Gary E. & Veit, E. Theodore, 2003. "Why companies use open-market repurchases: A managerial perspective," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 483-504.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:6:p:882-890. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.