Dynamic DEA: A slacks-based measure approach
In data envelopment analysis, there are several methods for measuring efficiency changes over time, e.g. the window analysis and the Malmquist index. However, they usually neglect carry-over activities between two consecutive terms and only focus on the separate time period independently aiming local optimization in a single period, even if these models can take into account the time change effect. In the actual business world, a long time planning and investment is a subject of great concern. For these cases, single period optimization model is not suitable for performance evaluation. To cope with long time point of view, the dynamic DEA model incorporates carry-over activities into the model and enables us to measure period specific efficiency based on the long time optimization during the whole period. Dynamic DEA model proposed by Färe and Grosskopf is the first innovative contribution for such purpose. In this paper we develop their model in the slacks-based measure (SBM) framework, called dynamic SBM (DSBM). The SBM model is non-radial and can deal with inputs/outputs individually, contrary to the radial approaches that assume proportional changes in inputs/outputs. Furthermore, according to the characteristics of carry-overs, we classify them into four categories, i.e. desirable, undesirable, free and fixed. Desirable carry-overs correspond, for example, to profit carried forward and net earned surplus carried to the next term, while undesirable carry-overs include, for example, loss carried forward, bad debt and dead stock. Free and fixed carry-overs indicate, respectively, discretionary and non-discretionary ones. We develop dynamic SBM models that can evaluate the overall efficiency of decision making units for the whole terms as well as the term efficiencies.
Volume (Year): 38 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3-4 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Sekitani, Kazuyuki, 2005. "Returns to scale in dynamic DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 536-544, March.
- Tone, Kaoru & Tsutsui, Miki, 2009. "Network DEA: A slacks-based measure approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(1), pages 243-252, August.
- Jiro Nemoto & Mika Goto, 2003. "Measurement of Dynamic Efficiency in Production: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Japanese Electric Utilities," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 191-210, April.
- Nemoto, Jiro & Goto, Mika, 1999. "Dynamic data envelopment analysis: modeling intertemporal behavior of a firm in the presence of productive inefficiencies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 51-56, July.
- Pastor, J. T. & Ruiz, J. L. & Sirvent, I., 1999. "An enhanced DEA Russell graph efficiency measure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 596-607, June.
- Avkiran, Necmi K., 2009. "Opening the black box of efficiency analysis: An illustration with UAE banks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 930-941, August.
- Chang, Hsihui & Choy, Hiu Lam & Cooper, William W. & Ruefli, Timothy W., 2009. "Using Malmquist Indexes to measure changes in the productivity and efficiency of US accounting firms before and after the Sarbanes-Oxley Act," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 951-960, October.
- Chen, Chien-Ming, 2009. "A network-DEA model with new efficiency measures to incorporate the dynamic effect in production networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 194(3), pages 687-699, May.
- Jamasb, T. & Pollitt, M., 2000. "Benchmarking and regulation: international electricity experience," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 107-130, September.
- Tone, Kaoru, 2001. "A slacks-based measure of efficiency in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 498-509, May.
- Park, K. Sam & Park, Kwangtae, 2009. "Measurement of multiperiod aggregative efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(2), pages 567-580, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:38:y:2010:i:3-4:p:145-156. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.