A simple model of international joint venture distributorships: the American-Kuwaiti experience
The paper develops an analytical model for analyzing international joint venture distributorships in marketing channels selling highly differentiated industrial products. Regarding four alternative forms of demand functions, profits of channel members and consumer welfare under the joint venture arrangement are compared with those under the classic vertical integrated and decentralized structures. Furthermore, optimal allocation of joint venture benefits is discussed and the influence of attitude towards risk and bargaining power have been examined. A case study from international marketing is presented in relation to the theoretical work developed herein. It describes the events that have lead to the formation of a joint venture between an American manufacturer and a Kuwaiti distributor as well as the factors that have contributed to its termination. Implications of the research and its findings to management are also discussed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 23 (1995)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jehoshua Eliashberg, 1986. "Arbitrating a Dispute: A Decision Analytic Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(8), pages 963-974, August.
- Ming-Je Tang & Chwo-Ming Joseph Yu, 1990. "Foreign Market Entry: Production-Related Strategies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(4), pages 476-489, April.
- Robert Grosse, 1985. "An Imperfect Competition Theory of the MNE," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 57-80, March.
- Donald J Lecraw, 1984. "Bargaining Power, Ownership, and Profitability of Transnational Corporations in Developing Countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 15(1), pages 27-43, March.
- Weijian Shan, 1991. "Environmental Risks and Joint Venture Sharing Arrangements," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(4), pages 555-578, December.
- Farok J Contractor, 1985. "A Generalized Theorem for Joint Ventures and Licensing Negotiations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(2), pages 23-50, June.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Baardsen, To & Grønhaug, K, 1990. "The incentive fallacy in cooperative arrangements: A case study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 541-548.
- Abel P. Jeuland & Steven M. Shugan, 1983. "Managing Channel Profits," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(3), pages 239-272.
- Anne T. Coughlan, 1985. "Competition and Cooperation in Marketing Channel Choice: Theory and Application," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(2), pages 110-129.
- Bardhan, Pranab K, 1982. "Imports, Domestic Production, and Transnational Vertical Integration: A Theoretical Note," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(5), pages 1020-34, October.
- Timothy W. McGuire & Richard Staelin, 1983. "An Industry Equilibrium Analysis of Downstream Vertical Integration," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(2), pages 161-191.
- Farok J Contractor, 1990. "Ownership Patterns of U.S. Joint Ventures Abroad and the Liberalization of Foreign Government Regulations in the 1980s: Evidence from the Benchmark Surveys," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 55-73, March.
- J Michael Geringer, 1991. "Strategic Determinants of Partner Selection Criteria in International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(1), pages 41-62, March.
- Nathan Fagre & Louis T Wells, 1982. "Bargaining Power of Multinationals and Host Governments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 13(2), pages 9-24, June.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:23:y:1995:i:5:p:525-538. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.