Testing the stability of the functional autoregressive process
The functional autoregressive process has become a useful tool in the analysis of functional time series data. It is defined by the equation , in which the observations Xn and errors [epsilon]n are curves, and is an operator. To ensure meaningful inference and prediction based on this model, it is important to verify that the operator does not change with time. We propose a method for testing the constancy of against a change-point alternative which uses the functional principal component analysis. The test statistic is constructed to have a well-known asymptotic distribution, but the asymptotic justification of the procedure is very delicate. We develop a new truncation approach which together with Mensov's inequality can be used in other problems of functional time series analysis. The estimation of the principal components introduces asymptotically non-negligible terms, which however cancel because of the special form of our test statistic (CUSUM type). The test is implemented using the R package fda, and its finite sample performance is examined by application to credit card transaction data.
Volume (Year): 101 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-858, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Philippe C. Besse, 2000. "Autoregressive Forecasting of Some Functional Climatic Variations," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 27(4), pages 673-687.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1995. "Rethinking the Univariate Approach to Unit Root Testing: Using Covariates to Increase Power," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 1148-1171, October.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1995. "Rethinking the Univariate Approach to Unit Root Testing: Using Covariates to Increase Power," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 300., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Monahan, J Christopher, 1992. "An Improved Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 953-966, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Christopher J. Monahan, 1990. "An Improved Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 942, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kargin, V. & Onatski, A., 2008. "Curve forecasting by functional autoregression," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(10), pages 2508-2526, November.
- A. Onatski & V. Karguine, 2005. "Curve Forecasting by Functional Autoregression," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 59, Society for Computational Economics.
- Gabrys, Robertas & Kokoszka, Piotr, 2007. "Portmanteau Test of Independence for Functional Observations," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 1338-1348, December.
- Peter Hall & Mohammad Hosseini-Nasab, 2006. "On properties of functional principal components analysis," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(1), pages 109-126.
- Antoniadis, Anestis & Sapatinas, Theofanis, 2003. "Wavelet methods for continuous-time prediction using Hilbert-valued autoregressive processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 133-158, October.
- Horváth, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr & Steinebach, Josef, 1999. "Testing for Changes in Multivariate Dependent Observations with an Application to Temperature Changes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 96-119, January.
- P. M. Robinson, 1998. "Inference-Without-Smoothing in the Presence of Nonparametric Autocorrelation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1163-1182, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:101:y:2010:i:2:p:352-367. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.