Deconstructing distressed-property spillovers: The effects of vacant, tax-delinquent, and foreclosed properties in housing submarkets
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- William H. Rogers & William Winter, 2009. "The Impact of Foreclosures on Neighboring Housing Sales," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 31(4), pages 455-480.
- Downes, Thomas A. & Zabel, Jeffrey E., 2002. "The impact of school characteristics on house prices: Chicago 1987-1991," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-25, July.
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2010.
"Specification and estimation of spatial autoregressive models with autoregressive and heteroskedastic disturbances,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 157(1), pages 53-67, July.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 2008. "Specification and Estimation of Spatial Autoregressive Models with Autoregressive and Heteroskedastic Disturbances," CESifo Working Paper Series 2448, CESifo Group Munich.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko, 2005.
"Urban Decline and Durable Housing,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(2), pages 345-375, April.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko, "undated". "Urban Decline and Durable Housing," Zell/Lurie Center Working Papers 382, Wharton School Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko, 2001. "Urban Decline and Durable Housing," NBER Working Papers 8598, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko, 2001. "Urban Decline and Durable Housing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1931, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Zhenguo Lin & Eric Rosenblatt & Vincent Yao, 2009. "Spillover Effects of Foreclosures on Neighborhood Property Values," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 387-407, May.
- Schuetz, Jenny & Been, Vicki & Ellen, Ingrid Gould, 2008. "Neighborhood effects of concentrated mortgage foreclosures," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 306-319, December.
- Harding, John P. & Rosenblatt, Eric & Yao, Vincent W., 2009. "The contagion effect of foreclosed properties," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 164-178, November.
- Hartley, Daniel, 2014.
"The effect of foreclosures on nearby housing prices: Supply or dis-amenity?,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 108-117.
- Daniel Hartley, 2011. "The effect of foreclosures on nearby housing prices: supply or disamenity?," Working Paper 1011, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, revised 01 Jan 2014.
- John Y. Campbell & Stefano Giglio & Parag Pathak, 2011.
"Forced Sales and House Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 101(5), pages 2108-2131, August.
- John Y. Campbell & Stefano Giglio & Parag Pathak, 2009. "Forced Sales and House Prices," NBER Working Papers 14866, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giglio, Stefano & Pathak, Parag & Campbell, John Y., 2011. "Forced Sales and House Prices," Scholarly Articles 9887623, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- David M. Drukker & Ingmar Prucha & Rafal Raciborski, 2013. "Maximum likelihood and generalized spatial two-stage least-squares estimators for a spatial-autoregressive model with spatial-autoregressive disturbances," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 13(2), pages 221-241, June.
- Stephan Whitaker, 2011. "Foreclosure-related vacancy rates," Economic Commentary, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue July.
- Jordan Rappaport, 2003. "U.S. urban decline and growth, 1950 to 2000," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III, pages 15-44.
- Tammy Leonard & James Murdoch, 2009. "The neighborhood effects of foreclosure," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 317-332, December.
- Oates, Wallace E, 1969. "The Effects of Property Taxes and Local Public Spending on Property Values: An Empirical Study of Tax Capitalization and the Tiebout Hypothesis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(6), pages 957-971, Nov./Dec..
- William H. Rogers, 2010. "Declining foreclosure neighborhood effects over time," Housing Policy Debate, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 687-706, September.
- Jeremy R. Groves & William H. Rogers, 2011. "Effectiveness of RCA Institutions to Limit Local Externalities: Using Foreclosure Data to Test Covenant Effectiveness," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 87(4), pages 559-581.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fernando Ferreira & Joseph Gyourko, 2015. "A New Look at the U.S. Foreclosure Crisis: Panel Data Evidence of Prime and Subprime Borrowers from 1997 to 2012," NBER Working Papers 21261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Molloy, Raven S., 2014. "Long-Term Vacancy in the United States," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2014-73, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- David Berger & Nicholas Turner & Eric Zwick, 2016. "Stimulating Housing Markets," NBER Working Papers 22903, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:eee:regeco:v:66:y:2017:i:c:p:16-27 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cohen, Jeffrey P. & Coughlin, Cletus C. & Yao, Vincent W., 2016. "Sales of Distressed Residential Property: What Have We Learned from Recent Research?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, vol. 98(3), pages 159-188.
- Schuetz, Jenny & Spader, Jonathan & Cortes, Alvaro, 2016.
"Have distressed neighborhoods recovered? Evidence from the neighborhood stabilization program,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 30-48.
- Schuetz, Jenny & Spader, Jonathan & Cortes, Alvaro, 2015. "Have Distressed Neighborhoods Recovered? Evidence from the Neighborhood Stabilization Program," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2015-16, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Anthony Yezer & Yishen Liu, 2017. "Can Differences Deceive? The Case of â€œForeclosure Externalities"," Working Papers 2017-29, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Lerbs, Oliver & Teske, Markus, 2016. "The house price-vacancy curve," ZEW Discussion Papers 16-082, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Spader, Jonathan & Schuetz, Jenny & Cortes, Alvaro, 2016.
"Fewer vacants, fewer crimes? Impacts of neighborhood revitalization policies on crime,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 73-84.
- Spader, Jonathan & Schuetz, Jenny & Cortes, Alvaro, 2015. "Fewer Vacants, Fewer Crimes? Impacts of Neighborhood Revitalization Policies on Crime," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2015-88, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Molloy, Raven, 2016. "Long-term vacant housing in the United States," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 118-129.
- Coulton, Claudia J. & Richter, Francisca & Kim, Seok-Joo & Fischer, Robert & Cho, Youngmin, 2016. "Temporal effects of distressed housing on early childhood risk factors and kindergarten readiness," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 68(C), pages 59-72.
- Xu, Yilan, 2014. "Does mortgage deregulation increase foreclosures? Evidence from Cleveland," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 126-139.
- Schuetz, Jenny & Spader, Jonathan & Buell, Jennifer Lewis & Burnett, Kimberly & Buron, Larry & Cortes, Alvaro & DiDomenico, Michael & Jefferson, Anna & Redfearn, Christian & Whitlow, Stephen, 2015. "Which Way to Recovery? Housing Market Outcomes and the Neighborhood Stabilization Program," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2015-4, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Younghoon Lee & Sanghyo Lee & Jaejun Kim, 2017. "Analysis of the Dynamic Relationship between Fluctuations in the Korean Housing Market and the Occurrence of Unsold New Housing Stocks," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 9(1), pages 1-23, January.
More about this item
KeywordsVacancy; Property tax delinquency; Foreclosure; Property values; Spatial Hedonic price models; R21; R31;
- R21 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Housing Demand
- R31 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Housing Supply and Markets
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jhouse:v:22:y:2013:i:2:p:79-91. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622881 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.