Managed care and medical expenditures of Medicare beneficiaries
This paper investigates the impact of Medicare HMO penetration on the medical care expenditures incurred by Medicare fee-for-service (FFS) enrollees. We find that increasing penetration leads to reduced spending on FFS beneficiaries. In particular, our estimates suggest that the increase in HMO penetration during our study period led to approximately a 7% decline in spending per FFS beneficiary. Similar models for various measures of health care utilization find penetration-induced reductions consistent with our spending estimates. Finally, we present evidence that suggests our estimated spending reductions are driven by beneficiaries who have at least one chronic condition.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gowrisankaran Gautam & Town Robert & Barrette Eric, 2011.
"Managed Care, Drug Benefits and Mortality: An Analysis of the Elderly,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(2), pages 1-32, January.
- Gautam Gowrisankaran & Robert J. Town, 2004. "Managed Care, Drug Benefits and Mortality: An Analysis of the Elderly," NBER Working Papers 10204, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cawley John & Chernew Michael & McLaughlin Catherine, 2002. "CMS Payments Necessary to Support HMO Participation in Medicare Managed Care," Forum for Health Economics & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-28, January.
- John Cawley & Michael Chernew & Catherine McLaughlin, 2002. "CMS Payments Necessary to Support HMO Participation in Medicare Managed Care," NBER Chapters,in: Frontiers in Health Policy Research, Volume 5, pages 1-26 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Town, Robert & Liu, Su, 2003. " The Welfare Impact of Medicare HMOs," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(4), pages 719-736, Winter.
- Robert Town & Su Liu, "undated". "The Welfare Impact of Medicare HMOs," Mathematica Policy Research Reports b1604dfa628e4a8c9c751a4ef, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Baker, Laurence C & Corts, Kenneth S, 1996. "HMO Penetration and the Cost of Health Care: Market Discipline or Market Segmentation?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 389-394, May.
- David M. Cutler & Louise Sheiner, 1998. "Managed Care and the Growth of Medical Expenditures," NBER Chapters,in: Frontiers in Health Policy Research, Volume 1, pages 77-116 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David M. Cutler & Louise Sheiner, 1997. "Managed Care and the Growth of Medical Expenditures," NBER Working Papers 6140, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baker, Laurence C., 1997. "The effect of HMOs on fee-for-service health care expenditures: Evidence from Medicare," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 453-481, August.
- Hill, Steven C. & Wolfe, Barbara L., 1997. "Testing the HMO competitive strategy: An analysis of its impact on medical care resources," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 261-286, June.
- Michelle M. Mello & Sally C. Stearns & Edward C. Norton, 2002. "Do Medicare HMOs still reduce health services use after controlling for selection bias?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 323-340.
- Baker, Laurence C & McClellan, Mark B, 2001. "Managed Care, Health Care Quality, and Regulation," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 715-741, June.
- Zwanziger, Jack & Melnick, Glenn A., 1988. "The effects of hospital competition and the Medicare PPS program on hospital cost behavior in California," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 301-320, December.
- Cao, Zhun & McGuire, Thomas G., 2003. "Service-level selection by HMOs in Medicare," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 915-931, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)