Average testing and Pareto efficiency
We propose a simple adaptive procedure for playing strategic games: average testing. In this procedure each player sticks to her current strategy if it yields a payoff that exceeds her average payoff by at least some fixed ε>0; otherwise she chooses a strategy at random. We consider generic two-person games where both players play according to the average testing procedure on blocks of k-periods. We demonstrate that for all k large enough, the pair of time-average payoffs converges (almost surely) to the 3ε-Pareto efficient boundary.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergiu Hart & Andreu Mas-Colell, 2004.
"Stochastic Uncoupled Dynamics and Nash Equilibrium,"
174, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Hart, Sergiu & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 2006. "Stochastic uncoupled dynamics and Nash equilibrium," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 286-303, November.
- Sergiu Hart & Andreu Mas-Colell, 2004. "Stochastic Uncoupled Dynamics and Nash Equilibrium," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000466, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Sergiu Hart & Andreu Mas-Colell, 2004. "Stochastic uncoupled dynamics and Nash equilibrium," Economics Working Papers 783, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Sergiu Hart & Andreu Mas-Colell, 2004. "Stochastic Uncoupled Dynamics and Nash Equilibrium," Discussion Paper Series dp371, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Karandikar, Rajeeva & Mookherjee, Dilip & Ray, Debraj & Vega-Redondo, Fernando, 1998.
"Evolving Aspirations and Cooperation,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 292-331, June.
- Foster, Dean P. & Young, H. Peyton, 2006. "Regret testing: learning to play Nash equilibrium without knowing you have an opponent," Theoretical Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 1(3), pages 341-367, September.
- Bendor Jonathan Brodie & Kumar Sunil & Siegel David A, 2009. "Satisficing: A 'Pretty Good' Heuristic," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-38, March.
- Aumann, Robert J. & Sorin, Sylvain, 1989. "Cooperation and bounded recall," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 5-39, March.
- Jörg Oechssler, 2001.
"Cooperation as a Result of Learning with Aspiration Levels,"
Bonn Econ Discussion Papers
bgse8_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Oechssler, Jorg, 2002. "Cooperation as a result of learning with aspiration levels," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 405-409, November.
- Cho, In-Koo & Matsui, Akihiko, 2005. "Learning aspiration in repeated games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 171-201, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:147:y:2012:i:6:p:2376-2398. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.