On the Mitra–Wan forestry model: A unified analysis
We present a substantive and far-reaching generalization of the principal results in the economics of forestry, as formalized by Mitra and Wan (1986). Rather than a polarized dichotomy of linear and strictly concave, differentiable benefit (felicity) functions, we develop the theory in the context of functions that are supported at the golden-rule consumption and are not necessarily concave. Through a non-interiority condition on the set of zeroes of a resulting “discrepancy function,” we show the equivalence of finitely-maximal, maximal, minimal value-loss and optimal programs, and thereby answer questions left open by Brock and Mitra. Our synthesizing criterion is new to the capital theory literature, and in the concave setting, proves to be necessary and sufficient for the asymptotic convergence of good programs.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miller, Robert A. & Voltaire, Karl, 1980. "A sequential stochastic tree problem," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 135-140.
- Hartl, Richard F. & Kort, Peter M., 2003.
"History dependence without unstable steady state: a non-differentiable framework,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 891-900, November.
- Hartl, R.F. & Kort, P.M., 2003. "History dependence without unstable steady state : A non-differentiable framework," Other publications TiSEM 96e66752-9270-40f2-9ad5-b, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Basu, Kaushik & Mitra, Tapan, 2003.
"Utilitarianism for Infinite Utility Streams: A New Welfare Criterion and Its Axiomatic Characterization,"
03-05, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Basu, Kaushik & Mitra, Tapan, 2007. "Utilitarianism for infinite utility streams: A new welfare criterion and its axiomatic characterization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 350-373, March.
- D. Gale, 1967. "A Geometric Duality Theorem with Economic Applications," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(1), pages 19-24.
- Kaushik Basu & Tapan Mitra, 2003.
"Aggregating Infinite Utility Streams with InterGenerational Equity: The Impossibility of Being Paretian,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1557-1563, 09.
- Basu, Kaushik & Mitra, Tapan, 2003. "Aggregating Infinite Utility Streams with Inter-generational Equity: The Impossibility of Being Paretian," Working Papers 03-03, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Mitra, Tapan, 1983. "Sensitivity of optimal programs with respect to changes in target stocks: The case of irreversible investment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 172-184, February.
- Adriana Piazza, 2009. "The optimal harvesting problem with a land market: a characterization of the asymptotic convergence," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 40(1), pages 113-138, July.
- Seppo Salo & Olli Tahvonen, 2004. "Renewable Resources with Endogenous Age Classes and Allocation of Land," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(2), pages 513-530.
- Mitra, Tapan & Ray, Debraj & Roy, Rahul, 1991. "The economics of orchards: An exercise in point-input, flow-output capital theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 12-50, February.
- Tapan Mitra & Henry Y. Wan, 1985. "Some Theoretical Results on the Economics of Forestry," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(2), pages 263-282.
- Peleg, Bezalel, 1973. "A Weakly Maximal Golden-Rule Program for a Multi-Sector Economy," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 574-579, October.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1976. "Economics of Forestry in an Evolving Society," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(4), pages 466-492, December.
- W. A. Brock, 1970. "On Existence of Weakly Maximal Programmes in a Multi-Sector Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(2), pages 275-280.
- Nyarko, Yaw & Olson, Lars J., 1991. "Stochastic dynamic models with stock-dependent rewards," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 161-168, October.
- Khan, M. Ali & Mitra, Tapan, 2004.
"On Choice of Technique in the Robinson-Solow-Srinivasan Model,"
04-13, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- M. Ali Khan & Tapan Mitra, 2005. "On choice of technique in the Robinson-Solow-Srinivasan model," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 1(2), pages 83-110.
- Ali Khan, M., 2003. "On choice of technique in the Robinson-Solow-Srinivasan model," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 504, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Li, Jinlu & Lin, Shuanglin, 2008. "Existence and uniqueness of steady-state equilibrium in a two-sector overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 255-275, July.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1998. "Numerical Methods in Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100711.
- Salo, Seppo & Tahvonen, Olli, 2002. "On Equilibrium Cycles and Normal Forests in Optimal Harvesting of Tree Vintages," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-22, July.
- M. Ali Khan & Adriana Piazza, 2010. "On uniform convergence of undiscounted optimal programs in the Mitra-Wan forestry model: The strictly concave case," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 6(1), pages 57-76.
- Salo, Seppo & Tahvonen, Olli, 2003. "On the economics of forest vintages," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1411-1435, June.
- Ronald Wendner, 2003. "Existence, uniqueness, and stability of equilibrium in an OLG economy," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 23(1), pages 165-174, December.
- Mitra, Tapan & Wan, Henry Jr., 1986. "On the faustmann solution to the forest management problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 229-249, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:147:y:2012:i:1:p:230-260. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.