Optimal stopping with dynamic variational preferences
We solve optimal stopping problems in uncertain environments for agents assessing utility by virtue of dynamic variational preferences as in Maccheroni, Marinacci and Rustichini (2006)  or, equivalently, assessing risk in terms of dynamic convex risk measures as in Cheridito, Delbaen and Kupper (2006) . The solution is achieved by generalizing the approach in Riedel (2009)  introducing the concept of variational supermartingales and variational Snell envelopes with an accompanying theory. To illustrate results, we consider prominent examples: dynamic multiplier preferences and a dynamic version of generalized average value at risk introduced in Cheridito and Tianhui (2009) .
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Föllmer Hans & Penner Irina, 2006. "Convex risk measures and the dynamics of their penalty functions," Statistics & Risk Modeling, De Gruyter, vol. 24(1/2006), pages 36, July.
- Larry G. Epstein & Massimo Marinacci, 2006.
"Mutual Absolute Continuity of Multiple Priors,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
19, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Maccheroni, Fabio & Marinacci, Massimo & Rustichini, Aldo, 2006.
"Dynamic variational preferences,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 4-44, May.
- Alexander Schied, 2007. "Optimal investments for risk- and ambiguity-averse preferences: a duality approach," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 107-129, January.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Epstein, Larry G. & Schneider, Martin, 2003.
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 1-31, November.
- Cheridito, Patrick & Stadje, Mitja, 2009. "Time-inconsistency of VaR and time-consistent alternatives," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 40-46, March.
- Frank Riedel, 2003.
"Dynamic Coherent Risk Measures,"
03004, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Hans Föllmer & Alexander Schied, 2002. "Convex measures of risk and trading constraints," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 429-447.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini, 2006.
"Ambiguity Aversion, Robustness, and the Variational Representation of Preferences,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(6), pages 1447-1498, November.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini, 2004. "Ambiguity Aversion, Robustness, and the Variational Representation of Preferences," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 12, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2006.
- Patrick Cheridito & Tianhui Li, 2009. "Risk Measures On Orlicz Hearts," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(2), pages 189-214.
- Jocelyne Bion-Nadal, 2008. "Dynamic risk measures: Time consistency and risk measures from BMO martingales," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 219-244, April.
- Rosazza Gianin, Emanuela, 2006. "Risk measures via g-expectations," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 19-34, August.
- Frank Riedel, 2009. "Optimal Stopping With Multiple Priors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(3), pages 857-908, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:146:y:2011:i:5:p:2042-2074. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.