Dynamic variational preferences
We introduce and axiomatize dynamic variational preferences, the dynamic version of the variational preferences we axiomatized in , which generalize the multiple priors preferences of Gilboa and Schmeidler , and include the Multiplier Preferences inspired by robust control and first used in macroeconomics by Hansen and Sargent (see ), as well as the classic Mean Variance Preferences of Markovitz and Tobin. We provide a condition that makes dynamic variational preferences time consistent, and their representation recursive. This gives them the analytical tractability needed in macroeconomic and financial applications. A corollary of our results is that Multiplier Preferences are time consistent, but Mean Variance Preferences are not.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sujoy Mukerji & Jean-Marc Tallon, 2001.
"Ambiguity Aversion and Incompleteness of Financial Markets,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 68(4), pages 883-904.
- Mukerji, S. & Tallon, J.-M., 1999. "Ambiguity Aversion and Incompleteness of Financial Markets," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 1999-28, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Sujoy Mukerji & Jean-Marc Tallon, 2001. "Ambiguity Aversion and Incompleteness of Financial Markets," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00174539, HAL.
- Sujoy Mukerji & Jean-Marc Tallon, 2000. "Ambiguity Aversion and Incompleteness of Financial Markets," Economics Series Working Papers 46, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ghirardato, Paolo & Maccheroni, Fabio & Marinacci, Massimo, 2002.
"Ambiguity from the Differential Viewpoint,"
1130, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Wang, Tan, 2003. "Conditional preferences and updating," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 286-321, February.
- Hart,Sergui & Modica,Salvatore & Schmeidler,David, 1991.
"A neo bayesian foundation of the maximin value for two-person zero- sum games,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
340, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Hart, S. & Modica, S. & Schmeidler, D., 1990. "A Neo Bayesian Foundation Of The Maxmin Value For Two- Person Zero-Sum Games," Papers 38-90, Tel Aviv.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini, 2004. "Variational representation of preferences under ambiguity," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 05-2004, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Takashi Hayashi, 2005. "Intertemporal substitution, risk aversion and ambiguity aversion," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 25(4), pages 933-956, 06.
- Dow, James & Werlang, Sergio Ribeiro da Costa, 1992. "Uncertainty Aversion, Risk Aversion, and the Optimal Choice of Portfolio," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 197-204, January.
- Epstein, Larry G. & Schneider, Martin, 2003.
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 1-31, November.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini & Marco Taboga, 2008.
"Portfolio Selection with Monotone Mean-Variance Preferences,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
664, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini & Marco Taboga, 2009. "Portfolio Selection With Monotone Mean-Variance Preferences," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 487-521.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini & Marco Taboga, 2004. "Portfolio Selection with Monotone Mean-Variance Preferences," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 6, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2007.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini & Marco Taboga, 2004. "Portfolio Selection with Monotone Mean-Variance Preferences," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 27-2004, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research, revised Dec 2004.
- Massimo Marinacci & Fabio Maccheroni & Aldo Rustichini & Marco Taboga, 2005. "Portfolio Selection with Monotone Mean-Variance Preferences," Finance 0502014, EconWPA.
- Kai Detlefsen & Giacomo Scandolo, 2005. "Conditional and dynamic convex risk measures," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 539-561, October.
- Itzhak Gilboa & David Schmeidler, 1989.
"Maxmin Expected Utility with Non-Unique Prior,"
- Epstein, Larry G & Wang, Tan, 1994. "Intertemporal Asset Pricing Under Knightian Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 283-322, March.
- Wakai, Katsutoshi, 2007. "A note on recursive multiple-priors," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 567-571, July.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Sargent, Thomas J. & Turmuhambetova, Gauhar & Williams, Noah, 2006. "Robust control and model misspecification," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 45-90, May.
- Kai Detlefsen & Giacomo Scandolo, 2005. "Conditional and Dynamic Convex Risk Measures," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2005-006, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Hayashi, Takashi, 2003. "Quasi-stationary cardinal utility and present bias," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 343-352, October.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00174539 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daniel Ellsberg, 1961. "Risk, Ambiguity, and the Savage Axioms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 75(4), pages 643-669.
- Thomas J. Sargent & LarsPeter Hansen, 2001. "Robust Control and Model Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 60-66, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:128:y:2006:i:1:p:4-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.