What can we learn from benefit transfer errors? Evidence from 20 years of research on convergent validity
We develop a nonparametric approach to meta-analysis and use it to identify modeling decisions that affect benefit transfer errors. The meta-data describe the results from 31 empirical studies testing the convergent validity of benefit transfers. They evaluated numerous methodological procedures, collectively reporting 1071 transfer errors. Our meta-regressions identify several important findings, including: (1) the median absolute error is 39%; (2) function transfers outperform value transfers; (3) transfers describing environmental quantity generate lower transfer errors than transfers describing quality changes; (4) geographic site similarity is important for value transfers; (5) contingent valuation generates lower transfer errors than other valuation methods; and (6) combining data from multiple studies tends to reduce transfer errors.
Volume (Year): 66 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622870|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kirchhoff, Stefanie & Colby, Bonnie G. & LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 1997. "Evaluating the Performance of Benefit Transfer: An Empirical Inquiry," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 75-93, May.
- A. Colin Cameron & Jonah B. Gelbach & Douglas L. Miller, 2008.
"Bootstrap-Based Improvements for Inference with Clustered Errors,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(3), pages 414-427, August.
- Doug Miller & A. Colin Cameron & Jonah B. Gelbach, 2006. "Bootstrap-Based Improvements for Inference with Clustered Errors," Working Papers 621, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- A. Colin Cameron & Jonah B. Gelbach & Douglas L. Miller, 2007. "Bootstrap-Based Improvements for Inference with Clustered Errors," NBER Technical Working Papers 0344, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henderson, Daniel J. & Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Parmeter, Christopher F., 2012. "A simple method to visualize results in nonlinear regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(3), pages 578-581.
- Henderson, Daniel J. & Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Parmeter, Christopher F., 2012. "A Simple Method to Visualize Results in Nonlinear Regression Models," IZA Discussion Papers 6781, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniel J. Henderson & Subal C. Kumbhakar & Christopher F. Parmeter, 2012. "A simple method to visualize results in nonlinear regression models," Working Papers 2012-4, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Peter Hall & Qi Li & Jeffrey S. Racine, 2007. "Nonparametric Estimation of Regression Functions in the Presence of Irrelevant Regressors," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(4), pages 784-789, November.
- Bergstrom, John C. & Taylor, Laura O., 2006. "Using meta-analysis for benefits transfer: Theory and practice," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 351-360, December.
- John C. Bergstrom & Laura O. Taylor, "undated". "Using Meta Analysis for Benefits Transfer: Theory and Practice," Experimental Economics Center Working Paper Series 2006-12, Experimental Economics Center, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Savchuk, Olga Y. & Hart, Jeffrey D. & Sheather, Simon J., 2010. "Indirect Cross-Validation for Density Estimation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 105(489), pages 415-423.
- Rosenberger, Randall S. & Stanley, Tom D., 2006. "Measurement, generalization, and publication: Sources of error in benefit transfers and their management," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 372-378, December.
- Robert J. Johnston & Randall S. Rosenberger, 2010. "Methods, Trends And Controversies In Contemporary Benefit Transfer," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 479-510, July.
- Smith, V. Kerry & Osborne, Laura L., 1996. "Do Contingent Valuation Estimates Pass a "Scope" Test? A Meta-analysis," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 287-301, November.
- James Murphy & P. Allen & Thomas Stevens & Darryl Weatherhead, 2005. "A Meta-analysis of Hypothetical Bias in Stated Preference Valuation," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 30(3), pages 313-325, March.
- Sudip Chattopadhyay, 2003. "A Repeated Sampling Technique in Assessing the Validity of Benefit Transfer in Valuing Non-Market Goods," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 79(4), pages 576-596.
- Mark Morrison & Jeff Bennett & Russell Blamey & Jordan Louviere, 2002. "Choice Modeling and Tests of Benefit Transfer," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 161-170.
- H. Spencer Banzhaf & V. Kerry Smith, 2007. "Meta-analysis in model implementation: choice sets and the valuation of air quality improvements," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(6), pages 1013-1031.
- Smith, V. Kerry & Banzhaf, H. Spencer, 2003. "Meta Analysis in Model Implementation: Choice Sets and the Valuation of Air Quality Improvements," Discussion Papers dp-03-61, Resources For the Future.
- Hsiao, Cheng & Li, Qi & Racine, Jeffrey S., 2007. "A consistent model specification test with mixed discrete and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 802-826, October.
- Cheng Hsiao & Qi Li & Jeff Racine, 2006. "A Consistent Model Specification Test with Mixed Discrete and Continuous Data," IEPR Working Papers 06.47, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Jeffery Racine & Jeffrey Hart & Qi Li, 2006. "Testing the Significance of Categorical Predictor Variables in Nonparametric Regression Models," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 523-544.
- Daniel J. Henderson & Chris Papageorgiou & Christopher F. Parmeter, 2012. "Growth Empirics without Parameters," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(559), pages 125-154, March.
- Schwertman, Neil C. & Owens, Margaret Ann & Adnan, Robiah, 2004. "A simple more general boxplot method for identifying outliers," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 165-174, August.
- Valentina Hartarska & ChristopherF. Parmeter & Denis Nadolnyak & Beibei Zhu, 2010. "Economies Of Scope For Microfinance: Differences Across Output Measures," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 464-481, October.
- Kevin J. Boyle & Nicolai V. Kuminoff & Christopher F. Parmeter & Jaren C. Pope, 2009. "Necessary Conditions for Valid Benefit Transfers," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1328-1334.
- Roy Brouwer & Frank Spaninks, 1999. "The Validity of Environmental Benefits Transfer: Further Empirical Testing," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 14(1), pages 95-117, July.
- Tzipi Eshet & Mira Baron & Mordechai Shechter, 2007. "Exploring Benefit Transfer: Disamenities of Waste Transfer Stations," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 37(3), pages 521-547, July.
- Jon Nelson & Peter Kennedy, 2009. "The Use (and Abuse) of Meta-Analysis in Environmental and Natural Resource Economics: An Assessment," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 42(3), pages 345-377, March.
- Ouyang, Desheng & Li, Qi & Racine, Jeffrey S., 2009. "Nonparametric Estimation Of Regression Functions With Discrete Regressors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(01), pages 1-42, February.
- V. Kerry Smith & George Van Houtven & Subhrendu K. Pattanayak, 2002. "Benefit Transfer via Preference Calibration: "Prudential Algebra" for Policy," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(1), pages 132-152.
- V. Kerry Smith & Yoshiaki Kaoru, 1990. "Signals or Noise? Explaining the Variation in Recreation Benefit Estimates," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 72(2), pages 419-433.
- Walsh, Richard G. & Johnson, Donn M. & McKean, John R., 1989. "Issues In Nonmarket Valuation And Policy Application: A Retrospective Glance," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(01), July.
- Kevin J. Boyle & Nicolai V. Kuminoff & Christopher F. Parmeter & Jaren C. Pope, 2010. "The Benefit-Transfer Challenges," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 2(1), pages 161-182, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)